dilbert1

So what, he was just one of the Bukem nerds at the time then? Isn’t there contemporaneous writing by him slagging off intelligent or whatever? Or was that dishonest too

Benny Bunter

The comments box in this blog post tells you all you need to know:

luka

So what, he was just one of the Bukem nerds at the time then? Isn’t there contemporaneous writing by him slagging off intelligent or whatever? Or was that dishonest too
no. he listened to indie at that time. his introduction to dance music was dubstep, if you consider dubstep to be dance music.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
@blissblogger Amidst jungle’s revived popularity, I’m carrying this torch, already discarded by you as errant so many decades ago, in my own delusional and anachronistic way

don't. nothing more cringey than gb news white ragga junglists recycling the same capleton acapellas and amens without even being able to swing.

dilbert1

"I understand the latter urge, I really do – because I’ve embodied it myself. Back in 1994 and 1995, I looked askance at fellow white middle class students who listened only to floaty LTJ Bukem and Alex Reece tunes, clutching my L Double 12”s and Dr S Gachet mixtapes as totems of “realness”."

😂
This was Muggs?? It sounds just like Reynolds

version

This was Muggs?? It sounds just like Reynolds

Since everyone else is bantering: Joe Muggs is a music journalist who is obsessed with Simon and seems to spend at least half his articles carrying on a more or less one-sided feud with him that's been going on for a decade or more. Simon lives in his head "rent free", as they say.

Benny Bunter

1. blogger_logo_round_35.png

SIMON REYNOLDSOctober 7, 2010 at 12:47 PM
    Talking of psychoanalysis, you really should read Harold Bloom's The Anxiety of Influence. It's a sort of Oedipal theory of how creativity works. To escape the oppressive influence of the dead precursor, the successor poet has to willfully misread the ancestor's work, to find or create "gaps" in it.

What's that thing you love to quote? "I must make my own system or be a slave to another man's"--something like that. Poking imaginary holes in another's construction is not the same as building your own. You're still at the stubborn misreading stage. And unfortunately in this case the precursor poet isn't dead, but still around to dissect your queerly motivated distortions and bizarre projections.

🔥 🔥🔥

thirdform

pass the sick bucket

Listen to the bassline in that pfm one. it's doing all the work that can't be done when you chop breaks into some punk breakcore thing at 170.

version

1. blogger_logo_round_35.png

SIMON REYNOLDSOctober 7, 2010 at 12:47 PM
    Talking of psychoanalysis, you really should read Harold Bloom's The Anxiety of Influence. It's a sort of Oedipal theory of how creativity works. To escape the oppressive influence of the dead precursor, the successor poet has to willfully misread the ancestor's work, to find or create "gaps" in it.

What's that thing you love to quote? "I must make my own system or be a slave to another man's"--something like that. Poking imaginary holes in another's construction is not the same as building your own. You're still at the stubborn misreading stage. And unfortunately in this case the precursor poet isn't dead, but still around to dissect your queerly motivated distortions and bizarre projections.

🔥 🔥🔥

He killed him there. This is why Joe just can't let it go. Probably still goes over it in his head when he's in the shower.