thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I mean you think the police are the greatest post-punk band, despite them jettisoning everything which makes post-punk interesting and rewinding the clock back to 1975 and becoming a regular pub rock abomination.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
even @craner understands this, which is why despite hating gabber he is completely fascinated by it, unlike Finney who simply has no room for it. Craner is a secular saint above criticism.

luka

i find myself increasingly disinclined to listen to music. it makes my skin crawl.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
i find myself increasingly disinclined to listen to music. it makes my skin crawl.

yes, we know you are becoming more and more reactionary until you're going to find yourself in a house with a leaking roof and will have noone to take you to the airport when someone you know in kiwiland pops their coggles. My dads like this, don't do it and repent before its too late.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
its true adorno is too hard for me. big bruising blocks of text. not much fun.

Get over your protestant middle class obsession with fun. Fun is boring, zealotry is where it is at. Stop playing diplomatic matchmaker with ilx.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
what is it about fun that makes it protestant and middle class do you think?

precisely because the valourisation of fun above all else is the disavowing of the most radical, puritan and uncompromising aspects of protestantism. privileging Fun is a return to catholicism, but without the commitment.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
dont understand that. can you put it in simpler english?

you want to have your cake whilst eating it. in catholicism and islam (for that matter) fun can only be obtained once the required amount of work is put in to get there.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
protestants are anti-fun, but poptimists are like the little kid who is like mum I want to have fun now and throw all their toys out of the pram. So they're ex-protestant in that way, but they get trapped in the same contradiction, they don't overcome it.

luka

i try and understand but theres a point at which you stop trying to communicate. i put more effort in than the others i would say.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
i try and understand but theres a point at which you stop trying to communicate. i put more effort in than the others i would say.

don't you ever hit that point in your listening where you're like, I'm sick of being handed everything on a plate and want something to reveal its secrets to me at a much slower pace?

and don't give me that thing about you don't listen to much music, maybe today that's true but that wasn't always the case.