thirdform

pass the sick bucket
now we have a situation where Obama and the EU have kickstarted some of the most reactionary sentiments in tr, as well as giving greece/greek cyprus the green light to drown boats of migrants. I agree that sometimes it's all the system maaan analyses can be reductive, but only because they tend to be cloistered in idealism, not necessarily because the distrust of politicians is a bad impulse.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
and that is ultimately what offends left liberals when us anti-state communists say the left and right (including the radical left!) are two sides of the same coin. Not that their policies don't differ - of course they do. But that politicians are actually in a self-enclosed arena of spectacle. Capital does not need to domesticate it because all the hard trading between corporate enterprises goes on external to politics. there's really nothing shadowy here. It's just obvious. in the same way that the total national capital does not care whether you buy coke or pepsy, but you do buy something, politics as an accumulation of commodities only cares for involvement in politics, not whether you are on the right or the left. This is why the point is to admit that politics is for morons.

vimothy

yurp
the alt-right isnt a coherent philosophy or politics is it, it's more like a social network graph. you've got your mens rights activists and your neoreactionariesand whatever and they're not exactly related in a principled way, they're just kind of adjacent on twitter. and the only substantive similarities are the fact they're facilitated by social media and that they're somehow outside of or opposed to some basic liberal commitments, but not necessarily the same ones

vimothy

yurp
theres a tweet floating round (from a christian reactionary) about how If you scratch a white nationalist you find a racist liberal. theres some truth in that, I think. the alt-right are rejecting diff subsets of liberalism, but theres no general agreement about what bits of liberalism are at fault

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
isn't trump the one who betrayed the Kurds, though?

there was no betrayal. We were always used as a prop. that's why some of us Kurds did not support the PYD. We forecasted the dangerous trajectory they were heading towards, and ultimately tacit accommodation with assad - out of necessity granted, but still. For internationalists like myself it was necessary to stay aloof.

Leo

there was no betrayal. We were always used as a prop. that's why some of us Kurds did not support the PYD. We forecasted the dangerous trajectory they were heading towards, and ultimately tacit accommodation with assad - out of necessity granted, but still. For internationalists like myself it was necessary to stay aloof.

interesting, hadn't thought of it that way. US media the last few years usually portrayed the Kurds as our righteous allies, and wrote stories like this when trump left them hanging: U.S. soldiers who fought alongside Kurds blast Trump's Syria retreat

luka

And 9/11 skepticism as well.

Bemoaning the rise of the alt-right, while in advocacy of the central paranoid conspiracy narrative of our times. You can't complain about people getting heated about the joooooos [insert handy denial enabling synonym here i.e. globalists] if you push this shit.

I thInk you've misunderstood it Dan, no offence.

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
Before departing for bed, 9/11 can't be understated for the psychological effect it may have had on generations of Americans, specifically the young. In my head, 2001 still seems relatively recent, but it'll be 20years ago next year. A ten year old then would be around 30 now. Younger kids then would have even greater trouble integrating the images and emotions from that event. Seeing it on the news for weeks and weeks after, unavoidable. Columbine wasn't that long before either in '99, Oklahoma 95. Iraq followed.

Not asserting mass trauma, but still, seismic in their own way. We'll still be living with the fallout of that day 20years from now.

luka

absoluteLy massive. And the search for answers in its wake fed into what we see today

luka

now we have a situation where Obama and the EU have kickstarted some of the most reactionary sentiments in tr, as well as giving greece/greek cyprus the green light to drown boats of migrants. I agree that sometimes it's all the system maaan analyses can be reductive, but only because they tend to be cloistered in idealism, not necessarily because the distrust of politicians is a bad impulse.

Distrust of politicians has to be the starting point. they're stopping you having fun. It's a racket and they're there to control you. End of story.

Last edited:

luka

the alt-right isnt a coherent philosophy or politics is it, it's more like a social network graph. you've got your mens rights activists and your neoreactionariesand whatever and they're not exactly related in a principled way, they're just kind of adjacent on twitter. and the only substantive similarities are the fact they're facilitated by social media and that they're somehow outside of or opposed to some basic liberal commitments, but not necessarily the same ones

It's not a coherent philosophy. It seems a lot of white men feel genuinely persecuted. At a personal level. It's invaded their consciousness and they can't get away from it and it's driven them mad. Which is obviously not ideal for anyone