IdleRich

IdleRich
On the other hand....
political pundit and GOP pollster, Frank Luntz, concluded on Friday that whilst Mr Trump could have persuaded some voters during the debate, it was now “impossible" for him to overcome Mr Biden’s poll lead before election day.

IdleRich

IdleRich
A rare albino lobster that was stolen from an aquarium in Newquay has probably been eaten at a beach barbecue.
Ariel the lobster - was reported missing from Newquay's Sea Life Centre on Monday when the curator noticed the lid on the tank had been tampered with.
A search of the centre revealed a hole in a nearby fence and a missing fish crate.
The crate was later discovered next to a burnt out fire on a beach.

constant escape

winter withered, warm
@IdleRich

"political pundit and GOP pollster, Frank Luntz, concluded on Friday that whilst Mr Trump could have persuaded some voters during the debate, it was now “impossible" for him to overcome Mr Biden’s poll lead before election day."

Just heard something, not sure where or how credible, about the polls themselves being weighted more heavily on the democratic side. You think there's anything to that?

IdleRich

IdleRich
It's very hard to know with polls isn't it? I read yesterday that polls are now adjusted to take account of the effect where even in anonymous polls people seem to be ashamed to admit they are voting Trump (in UK we call it the shy-tory effect). Of course though different polls use different methodology and sample sizes and so on, and that's before you count those of more dubious provenance which seek to influence how people will vote rather than truthfully reporting how they expect people will vote. Though there is still a question there - if you say x is ten points ahead of y does that gain votes for x from people who don't want to lose or does it mean that x voters become complacent and don't bother to vote?
One thing I will say, throughout my life, with big events involving large numbers of people - elections in short - polls have always been right, especially as they were taken closer and closer to the election... until a few years ago when they suddenly started being wrong all the time. What happened there?

IdleRich

IdleRich
But surely any credible poll that is genuinely trying to predict the result should surely be adjusting for any built-in bias or whatever. So I don't see why polls should be biased towards dems - do you know the reason for the assertion?

constant escape

winter withered, warm
I haven't been cognizant of all this for very long, so I don't have much of a frame of reference. But I think the polls for Clinton/Trump actually began reflecting the upset, rather than the upset coming out of the blue despite the numbers.

Yeah I'm not sure, with regards to why the polls would be biased. Also your point about whether or not a lead will result in net positive or net negative feedback, not sure there as well.

Also haven't began learning about the electoral college, or what role that plays.

But if I were just to speculate, weighting the polls toward the democrats would keep people calmer, I think. I think there would be more of an across-the-board upset if Trump was appearing to win right now, with MAGA perhaps being incited in reaction to the incitement of the left. Just spitballing though.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I haven't been cognizant of all this for very long, so I don't have much of a frame of reference. But I think the polls for Clinton/Trump actually began reflecting the upset, rather than the upset coming out of the blue despite the numbers.
As I remember it most polls still had Clinton winning - to the extent that it appeared an upset. Could be wrong, but that's my recollection. Maybe depends how far from the date.
I'm also thinking of brexit where all the polls had Remain winning - only by about one percent, but I think it was on a large sample so they felt confident. I was very worried at the time and so the final result was not a surprise to me in the way that it was (as I understand) to Germany or whatever where they were confident that the UK wouldn't be that dumb....

Yeah I'm not sure, with regards to why the polls would be biased. Also your point about whether or not a lead will result in net positive or net negative feedback, not sure there as well.
I certainly don't know how people can be certain enough about the effects to try and game the results by lying.

Also haven't began learning about the electoral college, or what role that plays.
Of course it means that a plus x percent across the country is not the same as a win. But of course they're aware of that. The things that reassure me is when I hear how far behind Trump is in states that he needs to win.

But if I were just to speculate, weighting the polls toward the democrats would keep people calmer, I think. I think there would be more of an across-the-board upset if Trump was appearing to win right now, with MAGA perhaps being incited in reaction to the incitement of the left. Just spitballing though.
I dunno. I'd say that there are various polling organisations... some at least need to be accurate to try and get more business...

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
This close to the election last time, Clinton's lead was about 2%. Depending on which aggregator you look at, Biden's lead is 4-5 times bigger. So there's that.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yeah. A lot of people are saying "But Killary was ahead before libtard!" and she was... but not by ten percent. And Trump has to win certain states where he his way behind right? In fact I read today they're neck and neck in Texas which is unusual.

Leo

LOL...that's a boatload of caveats right there! numerous key factors you admit not knowing about yet still willing to speculate of the topic, I like your approach. :)