Bedroom Techno

luka

I guess bedroom stresses the solitude, late night, isolation, possibly headphones

DLaurent

I could never have imagined hearing John Beltran in a club, maybe in the chillout room at clubs I went to, but for me it's my bedroom playlist.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
One of the fantasies of this 90s utopianism is technology as escape from people, a kind of retreat to forests or space, lonesome journeys. But as we hit the millenium we realise that our technology is overwhelming us with people and voices and information, constant nagging connectedness and anxiety with it, no escape

Forrests is more goa/trance, Om Namah Shiva etc.

Techno is much more sun ra. Space is the place.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
id say the best ambient techno is machine blues/soul (as in, directly in that black American rnb lineage, not soul as a universal trait.) perhaps the last time that sort of thing could be valid for us in the UK... Whereas with trance it's an unknowing escape. it's all squiggling curling arpeggios
and maximum euphoria. there's not much somber to trance, maybe a little bit of a rare dark rush with certain tunes (which are the 10 best trance tunes.) Dark euphoric trance was never really explored. anyway back to the electronic blues.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
this is the kind of (proto)trance which i really like and its impossible to find much of it. Just pure 170 nuttercore Wagnerian Benelux darkside. the prelude to the dark rush, just before the amphetamine turns sinister and there is still the last aspects of euphoria. then it goes into pcp gloomcore, and then you die on the dancefloor.

mvuent

Void Dweller
always loved the vocal sample in that. both the sound itself and how it's sort of just spammed without any rhyme or reason. like you've entered an abandoned spaceship and a received distress transmission that's decades old is still on a fragmented, flickering loop.

also love the first 40 seconds of this. gloomy and cold but strangely cozy:

this has to be one of the most vivid evocations of the particular lost-to-time vision of the future that luka and shiels described. the bleep sounds at the beginning are the winking lights of the control panel. then it opens up and you're traveling inside one of those airships in bladerunner that float over the city:

also love the first 40 seconds of this. gloomy and cold but strangely cozy:

He uses the same sound in the four cornered room track I posted earlier, then drops a drone and a piano on it. Luke Slater never gets much recognition, the pseudonyms don't help.

A lot of this stuff is, as you say, Chris Foss style deep 1970s sci fi art popping out into 4 dimensions. Anyone else have this book as a kid?
spacewars.jpg

luka

Forrests is more goa/trance, Om Namah Shiva etc.

Techno is much more sun ra. Space is the place.

That's True. But peace frog feels like a nod to the rainforests ambient techno sometimes evokes, even if they are either alien rainforests or rainforests on the astral plane. One of the inner landscapes music maps out. Techno is not adverse to the odd flutter of bird call and frog burp.

luka

Balil is just a letter away from Bali. And check out this, one of my most successful and creative threads.

mvuent

Void Dweller
He uses the same sound in the four cornered room track I posted earlier, then drops a drone and a piano on it. Luke Slater never gets much recognition, the pseudonyms don't help.
haven't listened anything from luke slater past that first EP as clementine yet. seems like a major figure in this kind of music tho.

(i've thought about making a thread trying to map out the "softcore continuum" for a while but i guess that side of things didn't advance in the same way that hardcore did.)

foss' art is from the same universe as this music for sure.

luka

It's mostly cos of the way he won't touch lovely drugs but he has a manic craving for fags and alcohol but also cos he has the aesthetic standards of an earlier paternalistic age. No genre fiction. No escapism. Everything has to belong to the orbit of the mature adult man. 'Erotica' is allowed though.

It brought me great, great joy playing all this stuff very loud through busted speakers to the horror of my tweed and college sports clobber wearing neighbours all thru the first year of university. Best times. Foxy third year girls loved it and flocked with hash and bottles of campari.

This one was a favourite too