Bedroom Techno

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
😂 OK!

just saying it as it is. a significant amount of the london crowd prefered the pristine clear high production values of US garridge. whereas jungle was too messy for them come 94. all those breaks flying around sounded too messy and like a broken contraption to them. So who decides what is dated or not, because we all here love broken contraptions gone awry. Context is key here.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
a more hopeful existence, certainly. incidentally this scene was mostly over by 97, which is also when no future techstep was in vogue, and the ray of positive light was garage, which, fantastic music it was, almost tried to propell a false sense of new labourite postracial harmony. That's the thing, grime happened out of necessity, not necessarily a direct musical evolution. The harmless kids in trainers weren't allowed into raves. AOR hardcore.

mvuent

Void Dweller
he actually made more hardcore than softcore, funnily enough.
a decent number of people at the time were doing both harder techno and stuff closer to the artificial intelligence sound. afx mentions that in an interview somewhere. other than him g.t.o. come to mind, their stuff spans from

to

would be nice to find more examples. i think every producer should try to do stuff across this range.

By the time I was into techno, which was late, maybe 2004 it had no ability to shock. quite conservative really, quaint even. and I always found techno devotees a bit embarrassing for their belief in being forward thinking and hardcore. being into techno as a badge of honour, as if it made you more able to withstand psychological discomfort or something, that type

woops

is not like other people
how about someone posts a good 93 jungle mix, a good 94 jungle mix, and a good 94 garage mix

DLaurent

Lots from Peacefrog here. Great label. Lots to think about too. A favourite track from Luke Slater has always been ‘Angel Street’ that sounds like the windows rattling in an old church venue.

I like digging for oddities but there’s only so much of this stuff out there, but it still has a distant quality to it that keeps me coming back. Found this listening to tracks on Dan Curtins label Metamorphic, cave like ambience in it.

Talking of dated, some of the production on early Detroit stuff is dated, more dated than say Titonton Duvante productions, but to me makes for good bedroom listening, there’s detail in the lofi for synth enthusiasts so I’ll always play the oldies like ‘Illusion’ or ‘Art of Stalking’.

Last edited:

chava

By the time I was into techno, which was late, maybe 2004 it had no ability to shock. quite conservative really, quaint even. and I always found techno devotees a bit embarrassing for their belief in being forward thinking and hardcore. being into techno as a badge of honour, as if it made you more able to withstand psychological discomfort or something, that type

Probably no good techno was made in 2004 other than this 100% bedroom production :

CJ Bolland has a broad range too, from proper hairy eyeball techno to to aerated epic and delicate tinkling stuff.

Sven Vath likewise, but not as good.

Techno totally dominated in London clubs frequented by people like me for years - final frontier at club UK, deep space, lost, knowledge at SW1, so i kind of missed jungle emerging, until my larrigan brother gave me a randall tape from the edge in Coventry. Different future in a wider creative space. Jungle could easily accommodate techno sounds and rhythms, but not vice versa.

Last edited:

Yes, techno people were very dismissive of jungle thinking back. It was a threat in several ways - too black, too common, too urban, didn't fetishize technology in the same way, dark yes, but sociologically not sci fi dark. Plain scary, people, with unintelligible voices and motives coming back into dance music.

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
Yes, techno people were very dismissive of jungle thinking back. It was a threat in several ways - too black, too common, too urban, didn't fetishize technology in the same way, dark yes, but sociologically not sci fi dark. Plain scary, people, with unintelligible voices and motives coming back into dance music.

never heard any techno heads express jungle as too black, they were too busy talking about fucking techno all the time.

chava

never heard any techno heads express jungle as too black, they were too busy talking about fucking techno all the time.

Me neither. I do agree that jungle was in many ways way more radical, and the pseudo-futurism present in techno was tiresome from the get-go.

Quite a lot of animosity towards the trance/goa heads from the techno side, but never towards the jungle crews. Most (euro/UK) techno producers has probably tried their hands on a jungle track as well (and failed).