Techniques for Influencing Time

luka

Version claims to have torn the face off many men in our street fights thread. I didn't have him pegged as a brawler but he says he is. Maybe you have to be where he's from.

version

I think I've mentioned the time-altering properties of danger on here before, perhaps in the catastrophe thread. Time seems to slow to a crawl once you realise the ball you've just booted's heading right for the neighbour's window or that car's about to plough into yours.

luka

Obviously on the right drugs in the right amounts you plop right out of time and find yourself on a divan in the chamber-outside-of-time, you've managed to tear your eyes from the vision-bowl and its vapours and you say to yourself, here again, I'm home! How strange!

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
Surgery/anaesthesia, followed by post op convalescence in a room without windows or screens for 5 days and buckets of morphine

Only slipped back into normal temporality y’day really even after a few days home, like the scene in an Alien spin off where one of the androids has to shimmy horizontally along the inside of a really tight pipe with a torch between his teeth in the dark

sus

10/5 Lecture 8: What is the Connectome? [The Allen Institute, R. Clay Reid]
10/14 MIT 7.016 Introductory Biology - 11. Cells, the Simplest Functional Units
10/14 MIT 7.016 Introductory Biology - 12. Genetics 1 – Cell Division & Segregating Genetic Material
10/15 Stephen Plaza: A Connectome of the Fly Central Brain and Implications for Analysis
10/16 Lecture 2: From Soviet Communism to Russian Gangster Capitalism [Ian Shapiro, Yale]
10/17 Yanis Varoufakis: How Capitalism Works--and How It Fails [Seattle Town Hall]
10/19 America, Russia, and Vladimir Putin: Russian Opposition Perspectives [CSIS, Vladimir Kara-Murza, Andrei Kozyrev, Natalia Arno, Vitali Shkliarov]
10/21 The Life and Scientific Times of Cajal: A Talk with Larry W. Swanson PhD
10/22 Lecture 4: Fusing Capitalist Economics with Communist Politics: China and Vietnam
[Ian Shapiro, Yale]
10/23 MIT 7.016 Introductory Biology - 13. Genetics 2 – Rules of Inheritance
10/24 Stalin at War - Stephen Kotkin [Institute for Advanced Study]
10/27 CAS DOT Lab -100- Memristor based neuromorphic computing [Texas Tech University, Vishnu Jujhala, Vinod Kumar]
10/27 Targeting Cancer Pathways: The Epigenetics Question [Science webinar series, Stephen B. Baylin, Charles Roberts, Ali Shilatifard]
10/28 Online Event: Innovation in the Intelligence Community [CSIS. Jim Hines]
10/29 Colloquium, February 16th, 2017 -- Geometry, Genetics, and Developmental Patterning [Rockefeller University,Eric Siggia]
10/29 Colloquium Sept 24, 2020 -- Machine Learning for the Physical Sciences [NYU Physics, Kyle Cranmer]
11/2 MIT 15.S08 FinTech: Shaping the Financial World, Spring 2020 Class 1: Intro and Key Technological Trends Affecting Financial Services
11/2 Arima-HiC: A simple and robust Hi-C workflow [Anthony Schmitt]
11/3 Introducing Glow: An Open-Source Toolkit for Large-Scale Genomic Analysis
11/5 Online Event: Russia's "Private" Military Companies: The Example of the Wagner Group [CSIS Kimberly Marten, Jeffrey Edmonds]
11/9 Deleuze for the Desperate - Becoming-animal
11/10 Early State Constitutions and Their Influence on the Legislative Branch [Laboratories of Democracy] [Lynn Uzzell, John Dinan, Mark Graber]
11/11 Infinite Fire Webinar III - Peter Forshaw on John Dee's Monas Hieroglyphica
11/12 MIT 7.016 Introductory Biology - 14. Genetics 3 – Linkage, Crossing Over
11/12 Professor Deborah Harkness, 'The Renaissance library and the worldview of John Dee’ [Royal College of Physicians]
11/20 An Archaeological Road Trip with the Keck Telescopes - Evan Kirby - 02/19/2016 [CalTech]
11/21 Telescopes at the South Pole - Abby Crites - 04/15/2016 [CalTech]
11/24 Online Event: Maritime Security Dialogue - Information Warfare: From A Supporting Role To A Leading [CSIS, Brian Katz, Jeffrey Trussler]
11/25 The Evolution of U.S. Health Care Delivery Policy [East Carolina University, Robert Kulesher]
11/27 Regenerative Agriculture (presentation by author of Regenerative Agriculture) [Richard Perkins]
11/28 AI farming: 100x the yield with a data team of 1 | Bowery Farming [Sam Swift]
12/3 DiEM TV: Another Now with Yanis Varoufakis [from 11/30/20]
12/3 The molecular logic of synapse formation in the brain [Thomas Sudhof, NIH]
12/4 The Neurogenesis Diet | Dr. Brant Cortright | Talks at Google
12/4 Roy Casagranda on The Origins of the Syrian Crisis
12/5 AlphaFold: improved protein structure prediction using potentials from deep learning [Andrew Senior, Institute for Protean Design, University of Washington]
12/5 Syria's Tragedy, Our Lessons [David Miliband, CSIS]
12/8 Online Event: Doubling Down on China, Inc.: An Initial Analysis of China’s 14th Five- Year Plan [CSIS]
12/9 Richard Feynman - Law of Gravitation - An Example of Physical Law [Cornell?]
12/9 Simulating Black Holes - Maria Okounkova - 08/17/2018 [CalTech]
12/10 Lynn Margulis Interview [Jay Tischfield, Rutgers]
12/10 MIT 7.016 Introductory Biology - 17. Genomes and DNA Sequencing
12/10 MIT 7.016 Introductory Biology - 18. SNPs & Human genetics
12/10 The Neuroscience of Consciousness - Anil Seth [The Weekend University]
12/12 Professor Hugh Goddard - The ‘Abrahamic Religions’ Today [University of Edinburgh]
12/13 The Singular Origin of Complex Life [Nick Lane, Santa Fe Institute]
12/14 Broad@15 Talk Series: The Human Cell Atlas: “Google Maps” to navigate the human body [Aviv Regev]
12/15 Robert Spencer: The History of Jihad [Westminster University]

(edit: And also, as a constraint and an exercise for attention span, every video was over 30 minutes, save for perhaps a mistake or two. Anything under that time, I wouldn;t bother adding to the list.)
what do you think of the Margulis v. Neo-Darwinist debate?

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
This one? Lynn Margulis Interview [Jay Tischfield, Rutgers]

I remember it being more a discussion/interview, about Margulis's ideas (endosymbiosis) and her personal life (marriage to Carl Sagan).

Reactions: sus

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Or do you just mean in general, like some Margulis position vs. some neo-darwinist position? If thats what you mean, I don't think I'm familiar with it. Is the Margulis position more about ecological interconnectedness and biological systems of systems, against the neo-darwinist position of individualistic competition and zero-sum fitness logic?

I also don't have a sense of what the "neo" in neo-darwinist really means here.

sus

This one? Lynn Margulis Interview [Jay Tischfield, Rutgers]

I remember it being more a discussion/interview, about Margulis's ideas (endosymbiosis) and her personal life (marriage to Carl Sagan).
Yeah, my understanding is one of, if not the biggest, paradigmatic fault line in evolutionary biology right now is between Neo-Darwinists (who take the selfish gene approach, emphasize random variation + competition) and Margulis-type ecologists (who emphasis cooperation, hybridity, endosymbiosis, and think Darwin got his competition metaphors from laissez-faire Victorian England, not the natural world).

sus

Yeah, the "Neo" here (at least as I'm using it) means "modern synthesis," i.e. Darwin + Mendel as interpreted by folks like Dawkins

sus

Been watching the documentary Symbiotic Earth + a buncha Margulis interviews, definitely recommend. The former docu has whacky narration is kinda low budget / you gotta pay $4 on Amazon to stream, but it has amazing interviews with amazing people and does a good job of covering the debate

sus

Oh cool, so Darwinism essentially after genetics becomes an actual science?
Yeah and also after Darwin (via Spencer, Huxley, Dawkins) is turned by his advocates into even more a competition-first orthodoxy.

Like, I think Darwin thought his views were somewhat compatible with Lamarck. "Survival of the fittest" is Spencer's term, not Darwin's (altho Darwin liked it, or said he did, in letters). But Neo-Darwinism ridicules anything other than the random mutation & survival of the fittest paradigm.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Yeah, my understanding is one of, if not the biggest, paradigmatic fault line in evolutionary biology right now is between Neo-Darwinists (who take the selfish gene approach, emphasize random variation + competition) and Margulis-type ecologists (who emphasis cooperation, hybridity, endosymbiosis, and think Darwin got his competition metaphors from laissez-faire Victorian England, not the natural world).
Anyway yeah I think the systems-of-systems interconnected approach tends to be one heldd by folks who have "passed through" the epistemic stage of think of themselves (both as ego and as organism) as discrete and totally autonomous agents, but I'm sure there are also blindspots of systems-thinkers here, EG maybe some of them downplay the agency of the individual.

sus

Margulis and her cohort think that many or most speciation events have nothing to do with random variation, and come instead from spontaneous couplings and symbiosis.

She also studied microbes and really wanted to get us away from anthropocentric, mammal-centric, animal-centric views. (99% of biomass is microbial.) In that Charles Mann talk I linked in "Defying Malthus," he recounts her describing mammals as "unimportant epiphenomena" in a world of microbes.

sus

Anyway yeah I think the systems-of-systems interconnected approach tends to be one heldd by folks who have "passed through" the epistemic stage of think of themselves (both as ego and as organism) as discrete and totally autonomous agents, but I'm sure there are also blindspots of systems-thinkers here, EG maybe some of them downplay the agency of the individual.

Posted this on Twitter this morning having a similar thought, I think it's true?

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Yeah and also after Darwin (via Spencer, Huxley, Dawkins) is turned by his advocates into even more a competition-first orthodoxy.

Like, I think Darwin thought his views were somewhat compatible with Lamarck. "Survival of the fittest" is Spencer's term, not Darwin's (altho Darwin liked it, or said he did, in letters). But Neo-Darwinism ridicules anything other than the random mutation & survival of the fittest paradigm.
I'm not really familiar with any of those figures, but I think I see the distinction you're making.

Not familiar enough with the discourse to be sure, but I suspect one of the big fallacies which neo-darwinism (at least as we're understanding it here) is susceptible to, is that evolutionary fitness is somehow externally imposed upon a biological environment, rather than something that is contextually defined and emergent from the various systems in question.