shakahislop

pretty consistently bump into red scare anna these days, we live in the same part of town. she was in the park just now getting hassled by jehovas witnesses. alternatively, i pretty consistently bump into someone who looks like red scare anna. a pretty intriguing cultural figure in my book. she's pretty perceptive and over the last couple of years i've got a lot out of what she has to say. it's been helpful for loosening up a few things that i'd got stuck on that i needed to get past. but she is also increasingly a proper old school racist.

they had steve sailor on the podcast the other day. i've never heard someone like that before. i mean i know plenty of 'racists' who say the wrong words and complain about immigrants and so on but i've never heard someone who so clearly spends a lot of their time thinking about racial difference in the way that dog breeders think about dogs. that part of the internet is so manky. this is part of that whole formation that we are talking about throughout this thread and where part of the disgust and our fascination comes from. there is a certain creativity and danger to digging through the dirty ideas and presenting them with through new and unexpected faces, in new combinations and in new formats. but in the end it is a dirty business, you can't help feeling like you're playing in the mud, a bit sullied

sus

they had steve sailor on the podcast the other day. i've never heard someone like that before. i mean i know plenty of 'racists' who say the wrong words and complain about immigrants and so on but i've never heard someone who so clearly spends a lot of their time thinking about racial difference in the way that dog breeders think about dogs. that part of the internet is so manky. this is part of that whole formation that we are talking about throughout this thread and where part of the disgust and our fascination comes from. there is a certain creativity and danger to digging through the dirty ideas and presenting them with through new and unexpected faces, in new combinations and in new formats. but in the end it is a dirty business, you can't help feeling like you're playing in the mud, a bit sullied
He's a classic from the Slate Star Codex comment section c. 2010. Just keeps beating his drum. Surprisingly effective.

catalog

I've read a couple of his books and a few things popped out, but it's nothing you haven't heard or thought of before. If you're familiar with Foucault, Baudrillard, D&G, and that sort of thing then you've already heard much of what he has to say in stronger configurations.

I'm not gonna co-sign Miller's focus on immigration and national sovereignty, but he does nail Han:

" ... a therapeutically inflected phenomenology of contemporary malaise, wrapped around updates of Heidegger, Foucault, and Freud. Han’s books are not really books but hybrid objects, located midway between books and screens, almost the analogues of expansion packs, which recycle a small cluster of themes with tonal variation instead of critical development... Ultimately, he turns away from addressing politically critical issues in favor of neologistic cartographies characterized by a lacuna of detail. Engaged intellectuals once searched for new weapons. Han, the detached intellectual, prefers vague reifications which implicate nobody and nothing. Intent on remaining above it all, he restricts his concern to the lukewarm, and avoids more extreme manifestations intensifying across contemporary society. His books are an oasis of boredom in a desert of horror."
I got one of his books, after someone (you?) posted something by him on here.

But I gave it back after a few pages... Cos it does feel like recycled continental philosophy for smartphone era.

Poetic tho.

Bauman is a similarly poetic philosopher but a lot more rigorous and effective.

This bit from Hans book got me tho.

2HtbJ5T.jpg

It's sort of parodic almost and makes me think of the zine I wrote, smog, where I had this section about the cappuccino cup with plastic lid as a new kind of chalice, inspired by visiting paddy's wigwam in Liverpool and then going for a Starbucks.

catalog

when I am sober I should write a paragraph or two about how Ellis was a visionary ( his power has waned, and separation / con-fusion of oeuvre and personality clouds the vision, but... )
I am with jenks on this and think he's alright but nowt special.

I would say he's on a par with someone like Irvine Welsh.

But a few people on here (padraig us comes to mind most) really rate him as proper good literature.

So I would like some graphs from you on why we need to reconsider him.

catalog

Adam lehrer is an interesting one... Cancelled by the quietus for supporting ex-dissensian DC Miller, then published it all. Ex smack head and now massively into bodybuilding.

sus

@sus

pls decode this for me / us:

First thing that happens when I get to Meg Spectre’s neo-vaudeville variety show at KGB is Gasda asking if I saw the latest news, that his ex Cassidy and her gang of idiots are all rich now that their Solana memecoin $EGIRL is blowing up after the announcement that Elon Musk is backing their fellow $EGIRL dev/promoter Bronze Age Shawty in a wrongful termination lawsuit against her former employer, the fintech conglomerate Block, which had fired her for problematic tweets she had posted on pseudonymous accounts.
@snav is roping me into going to the $EGIRL party tn

william_kent

@snav is roping me into going to the $EGIRL party tn

They got some good shit going with $EGIRL, they found a good way to turn the relevance of their friends and the scene into capital that doesn’t have all the Charlotte Fang esoteric anorexia discord incel grooming cult baggage that the Milady NFT had. All the weird incel psychopath Milady people left New York in the big Remilia Collective schism and since then there’s been a downtown vacuum in crypto. Everyone knows there’s been a vacuum. All the parts were there, there was the financial infrastructure and there was the organic mythos, the vortex of socialite personalities and deluded ambitions, and then all it took was just Cassidy coming up with an idea for a memecoin at just the right moment, just a normal fucking memecoin with some normal fucking girls in the project and without the mafia betrayal shit and without the hentai angelicism grooming cult shit, and now they’ve got something, this is the real revolution, they’re building networks of solidarity outside the system, the train has left the station, now they’ve got something and they can’t let the crypto cabal mafia motherfuckers derail it…

sus

I missed my Madame Butterfly at the Met out of sheer wet-brained emptymindedness but this made up for it

shakahislop

seen in dimes square today: a youngman dressed, more or less, as bob dylan, sitting on a chair in the wind and slight drizzle outside the arch cool coffee shop Little Canal, reading a book called The Sluts