padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
only does cycling all day every day
I never raced but I was a bike courier for many years and I still ride as my primary means of transportation

I know plenty of people who do, was never interested, it's a huge time commitment and I never wanted to specialize my fitness like you need to

I did think about track racing where you can still - in fact need to - lift weights and be stronger/bulkier, but still a huge commitment

the cult of suffering in cycling is something else tho. not just enduring pain, but intolerable weather conditions, terrifying descents doing 90+ kph down wet Italian mountain roads. there's a whole subset of one-day races - the cobbled classics, mostly in Flanders - that are specifically devoted to being tough - a "Flandrien" is a rider (not necessarily an actual Flandrien) who revels in miserable conditions.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I never raced but I was a bike courier for many years and I still ride as my primary means of transportation
I know plenty of people who do, was never interested, it's a huge time commitment and I never wanted to specialize my fitness like you need to
I did think about track racing where you can still - in fact need to - lift weights and be stronger/bulkier, but still a huge commitment
the cult of suffering in cycling is something else tho. not just enduring pain, but intolerable weather conditions, terrifying descents doing 90+ kph down wet Italian mountain roads. there's a whole subset of one-day races - the cobbled classics, mostly in Flanders - that are specifically devoted to being tough - a "Flandrien" is a rider (not necessarily an actual Flandrien) who revels in miserable conditions.
Yeah my friend was a bike courier too back in the day.

padraig (u.s.)

Hampsten Stelvio.jpg
the famous image of Andy Hampsten, only American ever to win the Giro D'Italia, on the Gavia in '88

one of his teammates had to be helped off his bike at the finish line because he was almost entirely snow-blind

linebaugh

Did not expect such interest on here, good stuff.

@IdleRich theres a cliché that goes only the final two minutes of a basketball game matter. Only the fourth quarter matters is probably closer to the truth, but regardless an attrition based game isn't really the current state, especially with the incredible offensive skill we have where teams regularly evaporate 10 point leads in almost no time. The first three quarters are (usually) stage setting. narrative and dynamic forming- who can and cant guard who, who gets into foul trouble, what sets work and don't work, who is making adjustments, who looks fatigued and etc. Come fourth quarter time the weight these factors usually break one way and a clear winner can emerge in just a few minutes. Not unlike a boxing match where the fighters spend the first few rounds feeling each other out before haymakers are thrown. And theres always late game heroics that can flip the scale on the previous 36 minutes of gameplay dynamics. Its a good system, even just 10 years ago a 10-15 point deficit going into the fourth was damning but now every minute matters.

Last edited:

linebaugh

I grew up religiously watching/playing basketball, stopped paying attention to sports for awhile (fortuitously coinciding w/that late 90s-early 00s stretch when the NBA devolved into miserable 70-68 wrestling matches) then rekindled a pretty intense fandom that has petered out in the last couple years. it's partially stylistic disinterest - high scoring in the analytics-driven post-Harden style of endless 3s and foul shots is in its own way as monotonous as the low-scoring late 90s drudgery - partially not wanting to put energy into following the year-round mix of salary cap minutiae and Shakespearean drama of alliance-forming and maneuvering that is basically a prequisite of modern NBA fandom, and partially just that the entire idea of professional sports as the world is figuratively and literally burning seems ever more increasingly absurd and pointless.

perhaps @Linebaugh + co. can re-rekindle my interest this season. if I was going to suck it up and follow any sport it would certainly be basketball. I do love the game itself - a LeBron or Luka Doncic almost literally performing magic - it's just become very difficult to ignore everything else.
being a bulls fan, I assume, cant have helped either.

I think that style is devolving. Last two champions played a markedly more traditional style. Lakers themselves weren't even a particularly good 3 pt shooting team. The rockets have dissolved, and steph and draymond will be well into their 30's by the time Klay is back and in the swing of things. And teams like the mavericks who still run a hyper modern analytics driven offense do it in a way thats fun to watch. Luka looks like a globe trotter out there, lots of ball movement and unpredictability.

Im hoping all the Euro stars end some of the dizzying offseason drama. They seem less interested in teaming up with their AAU buddies whove they've known since highschool. Its not unlikely that 3 of the leagues top 5 guys are Luka, Giannis, and Jokic in just a couple years.

padraig (u.s.)

Its a good system, even just 10 years ago a 10-15 point deficit going into the fourth was a damning but now every minute matters
higher scoring, and specifically the enormous increase in 3s, have significantly increased variance. teams can shoot their way out of holes they couldn't 10 years ago.

that's always been the best strategy for March Madness upsets, higher variance = better likelihood of overcoming disparity in talent.

it doesn't really work as a long-term strategy in the NBA where 1) the season, and individual playoff series, are long and 2) everyone can shoot, but it does make the ends of more individual games more exciting

luka

@IdleRich theres a cliché that goes only the final two minutes of a basketball game matter. Only the fourth quarter matters is probably closer to the truth, but regardless an attrition based game isn't really the current state, especially with the incredible offensive skill we have where teams regularly evaporate 10 point leads in almost no time. The first three quarters are (usually) stage setting. narrative and dynamic forming- who can and cant guard who, who gets into foul trouble, what sets work and don't work, who is making adjustments, who looks fatigued and etc. Come fourth quarter time the weight these factors usually break one way and a clear winner can emerge in just a few minutes. Not unlike a boxing match where the fighters spend the first few rounds feeling each other out before haymakers are thrown. And theres always late game heroics that can flip the scale on the previous 36 minutes of gameplay dynamics. Its a good system, even just 10 years ago a 10-15 point deficit going into the fourth was damning but now every minute matters.

Rugby league is the same as a rule. Theyre both turn based sports.

IdleRich

IdleRich
@IdleRich theres a cliché that goes only the final two minutes of a basketball game matter. Only the fourth quarter matters is probably closer to the truth, but regardless an attrition based game isn't really the current state, especially with the incredible offensive skill we have where teams regularly evaporate 10 point leads in almost no time. The first three quarters are (usually) stage setting. narrative and dynamic forming- who can and cant guard who, who gets into foul trouble, what sets work and don't work, who is making adjustments, who looks fatigued and etc. Come fourth quarter time the weight these factors usually break one way and a clear winner can emerge in just a few minutes. Not unlike a boxing match where the fighters spend the first few rounds feeling each other out before haymakers are thrown. And theres always late game heroics that can flip the scale on the previous 36 minutes of gameplay dynamics. Its a good system, even just 10 years ago a 10-15 point deficit going into the fourth was a damning but now every minute matters.
But this is what I mean about cricket. If it's a close game then you could argue that the first four days (of a test) were simply sparring and stage setting.... although equally it can be won in the first couple of days. As, I assume, a basketball team can be out of sight by the end of the second quarter. Not that I know much more about cricket than I do about basketball so this might all be double-bollocks I guess.

luka

The thing I will say about basketball, apart from its a great game to play, is that at least you can understand it. It's not like American Football. It's transparent. These tall men try to make it go in the hole. Simple.

luka

you'll never have a figure as powerful and magical as Maradonna come out of US sports though. So let's just have a session where we divide on national grounds and have a slanging match. Cheap insults. Low hanging fruit.

luka

Beizer can tell us that Europe is moribund and culturally exhausted cos it can never produce a Elon Musk or a Dave Bezos.

• Haha
Reactions: sus

linebaugh

It is great to play. One of the few (only?) team sports that can be satisfying by yourself. shooting hoops used to be my entire exercise regimen.

luka

There's no interest to Jordan. I'd compare him to Portuguese Ronaldo. Nothing beyond the on court moves.