linebaugh

The Bloom comparison is new to me, and admittedly the Sheen one didn’t dawn on me either
w.jpg

you dont think you could edit gus into this photo and no one would notice?

shakahislop

it's a bar called birdy's in hipster capital bushwick. well its a corner of it anyway. i biked over and the rain absolutely exploded when i was halfway over the williamsburg bridge, so i got absolutely soaked, and then google maps took me on some bike route which made no sense whatever, down morgan ave, and it is noticable how literally darker brooklyn is than manhattan. people comment on how spacious it is by comparison, but there's also a lot fewer lights, including streetlights. cycling at night feels more sketchy, all these bright car lights just floating around. the subway driver saw me running for the doors about to stick my front wheel in to stop them closing and just opened them for me, that never happens

Last edited:

sus

it's a bar called birdy's in hipster capital bushwick. well its a corner of it anyway. i biked over and the rain absolutely exploded when i was halfway over the williamsburg bridge, so i got absolutely soaked, and then google maps took me on some bike route which made no sense whatever, down morgan ave, and it is noticable how literally darker brooklyn is than manhattan. people comment on how spacious it is by comparison, but there's also a lot fewer lights, including streetlights. cycling at night feels more sketchy, all these bright car lights just floating around. the subway driver saw me running for the doors about to stick my front wheel in to stop them closing and just opened them for me, that never happens
Do you have a job?

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Sorry to interrupt the pleasantries here, but I have to admit to @WashYourHands : you were totally right about Gus.

At first I thought you were just playfully hounding him, but my experience at his nonce dungeon was simply dreadful, and I don’t mind saying so in front of him right now.

He insists upon uprooting his “urges toward sexual deviance” by forthrightly indulging in them and then having his “girlfriend” psychoanalyze him, hence the collection of media which upsets the stomach of even so jaded a cynic as myself.

sus

Sorry to interrupt the pleasantries here, but I have to admit to @WashYourHands : you were totally right about Gus.

At first I thought you were just playfully hounding him, but my experience at his nonce dungeon was simply dreadful, and I don’t mind saying so in front of him right now.

He insists upon uprooting his “urges toward sexual deviance” by forthrightly indulging in them and then having his “girlfriend” psychoanalyze him, hence the collection of media which upsets the stomach of even so jaded a cynic as myself.
Of course you would say this, as a pre-emptive attempt to deflect blame on YOUR ethical/moral/interpersonal reprehensibilities

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Of course you would say this, as a pre-emptive attempt to deflect blame on YOUR ethical/moral/interpersonal reprehensibilities
Observe all, as the putrid worm writhes as the light of scrutiny is cast upon it.

The activities I was asked to partake in were stomach-turning, amidst so quaint a suburban setting.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Perhaps most disturbing of all: it all appeared to be little more than a standard Sunday evening at the residence of Mr. and Mrs. Suspended.

I started getting flashbacks of Pink Flamingos…

• Angry
Reactions: sus

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen

3156B4C9-BC72-47C4-AADC-FDBDF04CAD60.jpeg

snav

great spot. i hear bossa nova is open again. time for the techno crew to assemble i guess

shakahislop

great spot. i hear bossa nova is open again. time for the techno crew to assemble i guess

where's your favourite spots for techno? i've always wanted to go to basement but between my inability to stay up past 10pm, the door policy, and dodging the bdsm nights i've never made it

snav

where's your favourite spots for techno? i've always wanted to go to basement but between my inability to stay up past 10pm, the door policy, and dodging the bdsm nights i've never made it
ha i also have wanted to go to basement but never made it. i usually end up at nowadays. but now that bossa nova is open again... that was the best spot. problem is it's overrun by yaaaaas girls and their NYU boyfriends between midnight and 2 AM, so you gotta make a late night out of it if you want the good stuff.

Unter parties were also pretty good but fuck that shit im not paying $50 for a ticket, and if the doors open at 2 AM you better be on some real shit to make it to the peak of the party.

IdleRich

IdleRich
ha i also have wanted to go to basement but never made it. i usually end up at nowadays. but now that bossa nova is open again... that was the best spot. problem is it's overrun by yaaaaas girls and their NYU boyfriends between midnight and 2 AM, so you gotta make a late night out of it if you want the good stuff.

Unter parties were also pretty good but fuck that shit im not paying $50 for a ticket, and if the doors open at 2 AM you better be on some real shit to make it to the peak of the party.

Edit, would be interested to hear about this kind of stuff. Is it really fifty dollars in? What do you get for that money? As much as it sounds like a stupid price, I suppose super club type nights with mega-DJs were creeping towards that twenty years ago... which was about the time I stopped going to that sort of thing (unless guest list of course). But I am interested, what makes it that price; is it big name DJs or lots of different DJs in different rooms, or is it it just that it's really really good and everyone wants to go? Doors open at 2am so what time do they close? What do people do when the doors do shut? All back to yours, or is there another place to carry on the party?

In short, tell me every single thing about clubbing in NY as it is now in a few lines (no pun intended).

When we were in Dusseldorf part of the group that we know there is this guy from NY and when we went were after-partying (at his house even I think) he said that the culture of doing that doesn't exist in NY. I simply refuse to believe that that is true, it exists, everywhere and if he didn't know about it I'm sure it's simply cos he was a sad loser with no mates... but can you confirm that for me and answer all my other questions. Feel free to start a new thread if it's needed.

Last edited:

snav

Edit, would be interested to hear about this kind of stuff. Is it really fifty dollars in? What do you get for that money? As much as it sounds like a stupid price, I suppose super club type nights with mega-DJs were creeping towards that twenty years ago... which was about the time I stopped going to that sort of thing (unless guest list of course). But I am interested, what makes it that price; is it big name DJs or lots of different DJs in different rooms, or is it it just that it's really really good and everyone wants to go? Doors open at 2am so what time do they close? What do people do when the doors do shut? All back to yours, or is there another place to carry on the party?

In short, tell me every single thing about clubbing in NY as it is now in a few lines (no pun intended).

When we were in Dusseldorf part of the group that we know there is this guy from NY and when we went were after-partying (at his house even I think) he said that the culture of doing that doesn't exist in NY. I simply refuse to believe that that is true, it exists, everywhere and if he didn't know about it I'm sure it's simply cos he was a sad loser with no mates... but can you confirm that for me and answer all my other questions. Feel free to start a new thread if it's needed.
The secret here is that these parties, Unter at least, *are* the after parties. It's sort of expected that you'll hit up a standard nightclub like Bossa or Nowadays, leave the club 2-4 AM, then head over to this party until 8 AM, 10 AM, even noon, which is when I've seen these events close. I rarely make it too long after sunrise. But I also don't really do drugs.

In this vein, NYC used to have a thriving ecosystem of "afters" spots, which were usually illegal, under the radar / not obvious from the outside, and open till very very late (early). I have no idea if it still does. And people would definitely take friends back home after, although I personally am too antisocial to ever get invited. My idea of a good club night is dancing autistically immediately in front of the speaker until I physically cannot move, with occasional smoke breaks in the freezing cold, then falling asleep in my own bed. This kind of precludes meeting friends. But maybe I just have an annoying face.

Here's an example of an event, so you can see the prices + DJs for yourself. Usually they have a big underground techno headliner, but never a super big name DJ. Volvox is kind of a local legend, she's been playing acid techno at parties like this for 5-10 years (I have a story about a friend of mine who fell in love with her, but that's an entirely different conversation).

I also got this email last week:
Pre-sale tickets to UNTER x UNTER XXXtraween are sold out, which now puts us in the position of being able to offer discounts to our QTPOC friends who sat this one out due to the high ticket prices.

We are now accepting inquiries for discounted tickets from queer and trans people of color who would like to score a ticket for much cheaper than was previously assumed!
+ generally it seems like the tickets are more reasonable / subsidized if you qualify for queer PoC status. So my guess is that the $50-60 tickets are subsidizing the cheaper tickets, but of course maybe I'm just mad because I'm a cishet white man.

Beyond that, sometimes the venues were likely expensive + the sound system and setup labor is expensive + they want to keep the parties smaller, like the giant waterfront warehouse where they took over the entire office space upstairs (with many little dark office rooms for people to do god knows what in), or the industrial warehouse in the East Williamsburg Rave Zone that was very open relative to its potential capacity, where they booked some Berghain guys who made me feel like I was being run over by a subway car, etc.

Hope this answers your questions Rich!