Leo

Going to be in the area this afternoon, Shaka. Dropping off some records at paradise of replica, picking up a pair of glasses at moscot. maybe grab a bite at Kiki's.

sus

Going to be in the area this afternoon, Shaka. Dropping off some records at paradise of replica, picking up a pair of glasses at moscot. maybe grab a bite at Kiki's.
Gonna be camping in Kiki's ordering endless tzatziki and looking for a toothless gummy old man... Unless you wear dentures out in public?

sus

I did meet Shakahslop we ran into each other at Clando's he was trying to pill the bartender on psychedelic fascism and I said This bloke must be from the board. Turns out he's a regular, goes there on weeknights to pick up NYU girls half his age, I said that's not a very good look but I don't judge.

And he looked exactly like this I swear to you on the life of my bankrupted grandfather

1000_F_301184523_uexeOqmsdYbtpHE65RjdtH2E3hJurI0c.jpg

He took me on a tour of the Clando restroom and pointed out different affordances for clandestine (get it?) sex. So this one is good because it's a bit roomier, you can put her up on the table here, if you're in the narrow loo ya gotta get a bit more creative, but you can use this metal bar here, and this lip in the wall as a ridge support, gave me the full tour, pros and cons, what to do when people are stacking up in a queue outside waiting

shakahislop

i went to kikis the other day, it's actually pretty nice and low key. i'd join you but i have a naked girl from clandestinos still at my flat

shakahislop

what did you make of each other? who's better looking?
spendo

at least until we were on the subway. he had to get off every stop to throw up. then he got back on again before the doors closed. everyone was cheering him on. he was still better looking at that point but i looked more sophisticated.

shakahislop

went to nowadays last night, very much in brooklyn, and if not a place where the BCM would hang out, it's definitely adjacent to all of that. class place. i wasn't expecting it but a dj called lychee played a three hour peak hours set where she spent ages refusing to do any 4x4, she just put on a load of syncopated murky bass that snaked around and little skittery drums, i got really into that. at one point she put some amens over the top, just for flavour rather than rhthym, i was willing her to go into some d&b/jungle but she didn't, and now i really need to go and see some

i've noticed soundsystems are amazing these days. this one was loud but clear. fuck knows how it works but both the nowadays system and the one at basement manage to be properly loud but also let you talk to the people next to you. some of the ones at glastonbury are a bit like that now as well. they sound so different to how i remember them sounding back in the day, everything sounds so crisp and separated out rather than one big mulch.

one thing that you lot might be interested in is the safe space stuff that happens at a few clubs here. maybe london is the same. coming in you stand in a little room and one of the staff tells you the rules, no misogyny homophobia etc etc, consent for touching etc, here is who to speak to if you don't like how someone is behaving, and we will throw you out if you're out of line. it seems so obviously like a good thing to me.

IdleRich

IdleRich
It's obviously a good thing. But... although I agree with it in principle, I can't imagine I'd enjoy the experience itself. I just don't think it would put me in the mood for clubbing.

william_kent

I'm curious - do they lecture everyone in what should be common sense, or is it just certain people they pull aside and have a word with before they let them in?

IdleRich

IdleRich
Seems a bit selfish to put my enjoyment of a night above this kind of safeguarding but there you go, I'm just being honest.

I suppose to dig a bit deeper, when I go clubbing it's one of the few (potential) adventures in my life. Queueing outside, bass throbbing, dunno what you will hear, who you will meet, where will go, how long for...

Actually gives me feeling of an element of pseudo-danger that part of me resists giving up even to protect those presumably more vulnerable than I and more in need of real protection.

To be clear, that's the feeling I have, I'm not such a cunt that I would actually resist or protest against this sort of thing, I'm just admitting I'm cuntish enough to have that feeling inside. Please don't tell anyone.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
To be clear, that's the feeling I have, I'm not such a cunt that I would actually resist or protest against this sort of thing, I'm just admitting I'm cuntish enough to have that feeling inside. Please don't tell anyone.

I would. who are you to lecture me on safe spaces as an asian disabled person when most clubs struggle to let me in for health and safety reasons? Fuck off. I don't want to be part of some condescending diversity optics to assuage white ivy league graduates social justice guilty conscience. If I'm out of order, then yes, by all means, pull me aside, kick me out, whatever. But I have intelligence, thank you.

Also I would wager that the people of colour who go to this space are well to do brooklyn socialites. Cos other people ive spoken to in the states give it the side eye, and it seems a bit like the white safe space to enjoy music of a black origin (I.E: only the black people we want in the club.)

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
honestly by and large the contemporary clubber is an abject person. they just adopt these terms like ableism, misogyny, lookism, colourism, sexism, racism, without knowing what any of it means.

I was once in fabric to see dbridge and Loxy and some lad tried to manhandle me down the stairs into the wrong room. then he was like sorry mate, I thought you were on drugs, I'm not against disabled people, big respects for coming. I was like, er, ok?

Then I tried to go see Nick Craddock at Wire (old leeds techno/deep house head) and the bouncer was like you're not coming in without your mate. Found a mate, and when he left, the bouncer wouldn't let me back in. I was like I'm not fucking thick.

Plenty of stories like that. It's one of the main reasons why I dislike clubbing nowadays.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I would. who are you to lecture me on safe spaces as an asian disabled person when most clubs struggle to let me in for health and safety reasons? Fuck off. I don't want to be part of some condescending diversity optics to assuage white ivy league graduates social justice guilty conscience. If I'm out of order, then yes, by all means, pull me aside, kick me out, whatever. But I have intelligence, thank you.

Also I would wager that the people of colour who go to this space are well to do brooklyn socialites. Cos other people ive spoken to in the states give it the side eye, and it seems a bit like the white safe space to enjoy music of a black origin (I.E: only the black people we want in the club.)
When you say "who are you to lecture me on safe spaces?" It sort of sounds like you're talking about me but I guess you mean more in the abstract seeing as I never said I would do anything of the kind, and in fact I never would.

• Haha
Reactions: sus

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
When you say "who are you to lecture me on safe spaces?" It sort of sounds like you're talking about me but I guess you mean more in the abstract seeing as I never said I would do anything of the kind, and in fact I never would.

no, I meant the club staff. as in, I would protest at that sort of treatment.

This is the problem with reducing humans to ever thinner categories of marginalisation. oppressor vs oppressed and so on. I don't want to go to a club to be a number or a stat, much less for some absurd political equivocation about liberation through wibbly wobbly drug music.