Badman Barty's Trip to Trinidad

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
The bit at 1:18 in this reminds me of that Latin reggaeton type stuff which was popular in my Kurdish village in 2004. Speedy - sientello etc.

Quite far away from the militancy of ja, even in them days. This music, despite the subject matter has an access all ages universalism to it. You could imagine your nan singing some of these songs as she tucks her grandson to bed. The gun talk just seems to be a default of every day existence, it's neither fetishised nor necessarily glamourised (nor even) reviled. It isn't even all that central, it only serves to act as lyrical matter for the harmonic content

This one as well. Charmingly innocent sing along with yer mates music with the johnny come latelies. everyone's welcome, you don't need to be a serious brother or sister.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I think we discussed this before but when Russ did this kind of thing with Gun lean we all could not stand it on this forum. There is an exoticism which as a man of firm consistencies I tend to be a tad uncomfortable with. Not the exoticism per se, but the differing standards we apply to our own and those outside our purview. Theoretically we should be able to appreciate Gun Lean as a good pop song. Theoretically.

catalog

It would be interesting to pick say 20 different artists and how they stack up for us (tier 1 ie premiership, tier 2, 3, etc). Sort of like a poll but im picturing one of those quadrant diagrams. I dont know what the scales would be tho

catalog

Ok so one of the scales could be familiar -> exotic.

What would the other be? Tempo? Something more normal?

catalog

We’ll have to come back to this i think, make some kind of interactive thing where we can go and enter people

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
But then that lack of consistency (maybe inherent to being a primarily pop music fan) is why I'm not a poptimist. it was Barty who did a good post about it here...

SOUND COLLAGE

me and luke were chatting about your list the other day.

he pointed out that me, him and reynolds have a relatively pop view of the nuum. celebrating bangers. venerating anthems. championing the 'flava' (to borrow si's vernacular) side to it rather than the techy end of the spectrum. sound collages not songs.

luke points to this list as a counterbalance to that orthodoxy.

what struck me about this tune from your list was that it manages to tick both boxes. being both a sound collage and pop song. that's the ideal really

I think because for me pop music is so highly associated with the BBC - radio 1 and capital FM when I was growing up that I have no real sense of how to adapt it to the youtube and spotify age. More sound-collage, more techy and technical music has a roadmap embedded in it. I'm able to immerse and explore the permutations of a sound. Given that today the most interesting developments in pop music aren't fueled by the radio it becomes impossible for me to adapt in the same way. You need to big into the instagram and influencer craze. So when I browse through this stuff I'm not approaching it like a true urban pop fan. I don't think that should make my perspective invalid though. I'm not an indie rocker or an idm boffin.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I think this is the point at which I turn off the playlist for the night. It was playing and I was like, hmm, love them stuttering timbaland syncopations, but all the angularity has been taken out and made into jakuzi beats.