Badman Barty's Trip to Trinidad

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
What strawman! You're desperate to tear into it, I can sense it!

no, ive said what ive had to say. You can't criticise retro trends in garage or jungle then cling to the retro or derivative in dancehall or rnb.

London is sadly no longer the epicentre for music. The tories killed that.

And the internet has truly deterritorialised music from being tied to a locality. For all yer banging on about Deleuze you can't see they were market fetishists and would have embraced the internet with open arms.

Case and point, that tune. you just have a Jamaican guy to sing it with the same production and it will fit like a glove. modular.

luka

It's true it's the same soundworld, broadly speaking, as a lot of the big selling 'urban' pop of the last few years.

luka

But when it works, it works. Drifty Enya vocals. Autotune. Atmospherics. Reverb. It's a format but it's not a bad one.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
It's true it's the same soundworld, broadly speaking, as a lot of the big selling 'urban' pop of the last few years.

Right. which makes the ideological polarisations on the forum look a bit old hat, except do you really think you'll be listening to this music in 5 years time? Yeah its nice, but i can't even be bothered with bad and bougie nowadays.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Funnily enough my problem with barty's music is the same problem as Catalog's music, even though they inhabit diametric soundworlds. Both posters tastes have an inbuilt inability to really push beyond the haze, so all their music is good not great.

luka

It's exactly the same as post dubstep. That's why I posted the kpunk essay on the thread. But it's got stuff abut guns and killing which ultimately makes it much better than post dubstep.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I would agree that there is probably more good music than ever, in its production, the placement of sounds, the way the reverbs and autotunes are used. Good music is not really something I care for though. What's so enthralling about the good? Something either has to make you an evangelist or make you shudder in disgust. Good is the mean average, the most broadly indifferent.

Benny Bunter

I've never really taken fully to any forms of trap or drill that much, barring a few exceptions, but I do like it a lot more with Jamaican (and now Trini) voices over it. I think its main appeal to me is probably that simple. I rate this and JA dancehall over US rap personally, but maybe thats just me.

luka

I actually hate good music too. I agree. It's repulsive. But that is why I've cancelled music. Because almost everything is good now. I've got no use for anything good.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I actually hate good music too. I agree. It's repulsive. But that is why I've cancelled music. Because almost everything is good now. I've got no use for anything good.

Correct this is an admirable project. What we need to do is pligh Benny away from his lush resorts in Sivilla and conscript him into the army. only from the ruins of his destiny will something truly great arise, that transcends the virtue of being good, that contains the sublime and disgust in equal measure.

catalog

Funnily enough my problem with barty's music is the same problem as Catalog's music, even though they inhabit diametric soundworlds. Both posters tastes have an inbuilt inability to really push beyond the haze, so all their music is good not great.
I think what tips the 'good' as you describe it into 'great' for me is that I can associate this music with a specific world that I've inhabited ie going to the white hotel or seeing Dean blunt live countless times. I listen to certain songs and get excited cos it reminds me of certain things.

I mean what else would ever make you think anything is great?

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I think what tips the 'good' as you describe it into 'great' for me is that I can associate this music with a specific world that I've inhabited ie going to the white hotel or seeing Dean blunt live countless times. I listen to certain songs and get excited cos it reminds me of certain things.

I mean what else would ever make you think anything is great?

Exhiliration and evangelism. More than 94 jungle this was in 92-93 hardcore. even the pretty naff piano happy stuff. It's being taken into a realm of alternative elves and gremlins. non-stop vertigo, spinning round and round. consciousness obliteration, the merger with a collective intelligence. Reaching the Godly heights.