Badman Barty's Trip to Trinidad

Benny Bunter

There may well be other subtle differences between the trinibad sound and jamaican dancehall that are flying over my head cause I'm not up to speed with JA either. I did notice steel pans in a couple of tunes, dunno if thats a thing. Differences in slang etc

luka

But also worth a having a retrospective look at what has happened and going, oh, right, that produced a small store of beauty.

Benny Bunter

You have to put the time in with this stuff to get anything out of it. For 2021 I'd like to see dissensus get into current dancehall again and have a proper active thread, preferably helmed by @sadmanbarty. There's always interesting stuff going on when you bother to look

luka

I agree our focus is always supposed to be on normal music, ie. Rap, dancehall, R&B, + whatever London is currently pottering about with. You don't want an old burial thread as the main focus of discussion in an ideal world.

Benny Bunter

This is my favourite version of dead like dog riddim by the guy who produced it, which is maybe why it's so good - he seems to get into every nook and cranny of the tune and explores the full range. And that high note when he sings "chicken guts" is o_O

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
You have to put the time in with this stuff to get anything out of it. For 2021 I'd like to see dissensus get into current dancehall again and have a proper active thread, preferably helmed by @sadmanbarty. There's always interesting stuff going on when you bother to look

There might be interesting stuff but anything with a rough and rugged sound redolent of mad cobra or bounty killer will get dismissed as retro. So the forum becomes a prisoner of its own making. because smooth, pastoral and airbrushed in the vogue, that is the only music that as a collective this forum will gravitate to.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I agree our focus is always supposed to be on normal music, ie. Rap, dancehall, R&B, + whatever London is currently pottering about with. You don't want an old burial thread as the main focus of discussion in an ideal world.

Thought you were raging about capital xtra and your latin neighbours two years ago?

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
This is my favourite version of dead like dog riddim by the guy who produced it, which is maybe why it's so good - he seems to get into every nook and cranny of the tune and explores the full range. And that high note when he sings "chicken guts" is o_O

I don't hate or dislike this, before Luka sets up that strawman, but this doesn't even sound like dancehall at all now. It just has the same rhythmic template. But the downbeat minor cords, the hazey production etc etc are all a variation on American rnb. This is in contradiction to the 00s where dancehall was giving rnb tips, not the other way around.

Last edited: