Badman Barty's Trip to Trinidad

catalog

Exhiliration and evangelism. More than 94 jungle this was in 92-93 hardcore. even the pretty naff piano happy stuff. It's being taken into a realm of alternative elves and gremlins. non-stop vertigo, spinning round and round. consciousness obliteration, the merger with a collective intelligence. Reaching the Godly heights.
So it's that specific period of time? 92-93 is it and anything else is not great cos its not 92-93. That's fine if that's what you mean, makes sense. But is surely just another criterion and what if I don't agree?

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
i like this kind of stuff in barty's playlist with the churchbell gothic and moody pads, as well as that big US trap bassline. That is the stuff that appeals to me the most, the stuff that is less up in the air. If youre gonna talk about of guns, you have to feel the weight of the gun against your back.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
So it's that specific period of time? 92-93 is it and anything else is not great cos its not 92-93. That's fine if that's what you mean, makes sense. But is surely just another criterion and what if I don't agree?

No, it's music that is intense. you get this in dub reggae, turkish schmaltz, free jazz and speedcore. It's about taken outside the realms of restraint.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
it's music that quite literally punches you in the gut. It can be sorrowful or angry. But it has to be intense. It can include both soul and anti-soul.

It is music that goes against the stiff upper lip principle. Even music that goes against the principle of boy meets girl. It has to take you to those forbidden places. That indicates true greatness.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I like the rebel sixx son tzu one though, the reverbed pans and the sibillance in his cadences. As pop music. It's actually very gay. A spit-inflected voice you want to sodomise. Thousand-fingered tongue.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I'm also a big fan of those kinds of freaks. the macho bisexual who becomes distant to the world as manliness becomes passe and ironically becomes more feminist than feminists who are only ever concerned with a seat at the table.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
One day someone needs to write a dissertation about how disco as explosive masculinity subsumed in hyper-feminin diva salvation was perfect football hooligan music.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I like how this is all squeezed in. expansive production yet every aspect of the flow is intricately condensed into the drum track. It's like icecream man. Just straight up rhythm melody interplay. semi-vertiginous stumbling and orbitting. dissociation. Could do with a proper bassline and more ruffness for me though.

catalog

it's music that quite literally punches you in the gut. It can be sorrowful or angry. But it has to be intense. It can include both soul and anti-soul.

It is music that goes against the stiff upper lip principle. Even music that goes against the principle of boy meets girl. It has to take you to those forbidden places. That indicates true greatness.
Why?

catalog

I could agree with that, but how you then say certain things are great and others merely good becomes tricky. I feel like there is vanity of small differences going on here. It's all so broadly fitting into what you've just outlined (making thd mechanical great not stifling) that everything else is nitpicking.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
This is why Cuban Lynx is great and Liquid Swords is very good.

All good music is head music by nature. Great music unites the head body dualism.

We would not have understood this without early electro hip hop and Public Enemy.

It's also why conscious hip hop having more in common with A Tribe Called Quest and KRS1 has been one of the more lamentable developments.

catalog

I did a liquid swords vs Kate Bush hounds of love cd for the car and its really good. I'll try doing Cuban linx vs mica levi next