constant escape

winter withered, warm
But I think John Wick does elevate the action genre to some degree. Those long, continuous fight scenes. The director was a stunt coordinator for the Matrix I believe. Very painstaking and passionate about action sequences apparently.

And yeah the second-recent MI that has Cruise strapped to the side of a plane. Believe that was legitimate.

constant escape

winter withered, warm
That said, maybe John Wick is just following the lead of prior cult films. Even if thats the case, its still significant, in my mind.

IdleRich

IdleRich
The Raid is awesome. The 2012 dredd was good as well and basically an american remake of it
The Raid was not as good as I wanted it to be... there is that one fight that is totally ridiculous and goes on for ages. But Dredd is definitely miles better even if it was inspired by it.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I think John Wick boasts a perhaps unparalleled clout. Although I'm no action aficionado. Haven't seen The Raid yet.

What about Shane Black's films?
His most recent films are not really action though are they? I'm thinking The Nice Guys and Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, although seems he did a re-working of Predator in 2018 and Iron Man III neither of which I've seen so could be wrong.

linebaugh

People hold the fast and furious dear though. Mission possible I dont think any one really cares about even if they did make some cash. Also more of an aughts phenomenon.

version

They were all really bad though
That isn't the same thing as the action movie being dead though. The last MI apparently made almost 800m at the box office and the last F&F made over a billion. There's a huge audience for them.

muser

That isn't the same thing as the action movie being dead though. The last MI apparently made almost 800m at the box office and the last F&F made over a billion. There's a huge audience for them.

Yeah its a great pity.

luka

A lot of boys like cars don't they. Top Gear was a popular programme. I'm not into cars but some people are.

linebaugh

Jesus I had no idea the MI series was still going that strong. I didnt even know they made one in 2018, let alone another fairly successful one in 2015

version

The way the F&F series developed is absurd. It started with them racing cars and stealing DVD players and nowadays they're fighting deadly assassins, blowing up planes and all sorts.

luka

The I did watch a fast and furious. I was impressed how they try and cover a lot of ethnic bases. There might not have an Indian hero but there was definitely a white and a black and a Chinese and The Rock too.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Also James Bond is always there.
Vin Diesel did that other film - called X maybe? - where at the start he kills a guy in a tux and you can see it's saying "No more suave Brits in evening suits, it's fucking Vin fucking DIesel with massive fucking muscles punching the fuck out of people from now on" - but I don't think it caught on.

muser

Its been very clever at getting huge international appeal I remembering being a cinema for F&F film in Indonesia and people literally were running into the cinema to get a seat when the doors opened t was chaos. I fell asleep.