luka

Its been very clever at getting huge international appeal I remembering being a cinema for F&F film in Indonesia and people literally were running into the cinema to get a seat when the doors opened t was chaos. I fell asleep.
It helped pioneer this I think.

muser

I was gonna say James Bond has held out I think but purely because its almost its own self contained thing.

IdleRich

IdleRich
The I did watch a fast and furious. I was impressed how they try and cover a lot of ethnic bases. There might not have an Indian hero but there was definitely a white and a black and a Chinese and The Rock too.
That story about how they all had to get hit the same amount of times and The Rock or someone developed a complex points system for fights so that no-one ever looked weaker than anyone else and damaged their brand was really fucking funny. I think it was @version inevitably who dug that out.

version

The I did watch a fast and furious. I was impressed how they try and cover a lot of ethnic bases. There might not have an Indian hero but there was definitely a white and a black and a Chinese and The Rock too.
I don't know whether it's intentional or not, but it doesn't feel intentional. You don't get anyone complaining about 'forced diversity' with those films despite the cast being very diverse.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Does james bond count? I think the action purist argument says no
No it does for sure. I remember seeing one of them in the cinema (obviously I can't remember which one cos they're all the same) and there was a scene and I thought something like "there have been some utterly ridiculous action scenes in films lately but this is truly ludicrous".

luka

I don't know whether it's intentional or not, but it doesn't feel intentional. You don't get anyone complaining about 'forced diversity' with those films despite the cast being very diverse.

I think this is because it's patently for commercial reasons not 'ideological'

linebaugh

No it does for sure. I remember seeing one of them in the cinema (obviously I can't remember which one cos they're all the same) and there was a scene and I thought something like "there have been some utterly ridiculous action scenes in films lately but this is truly ludicrous".
I think what makes james bond entertaining is alot more than the action sequences though. Where as a film like f&f is entirely reliant on the stunts and fights and etc.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Guests are ushered from the pre-show auditorium into a large theater that seats 700 where they are to see a demonstration of Cyberdyne's newest creation, the "Cyberdyne Series 70 Autonomous Infantry Unit" (T-70 Terminators). Once guests are seated, they are told to put on their "safety visors" to watch a demonstration of the T-70 Terminators in action presented by Duncan. After this brief demonstration, John and Sarah arrive and disrupt the proceedings. After disabling the security alarms, they force Duncan to shut the T-70s. However, they are confronted by a T-1000 Terminator (Robert Patrick) from the future whom they engage with automatic-weapons. Duncan is killed by the T-1000 while attempting to stop him, mistaking him as a police officer. A T-800 Terminator (Arnold Schwarzenegger) bursts through the movie screen through a "time portal" on his signature Harley-Davidson motorcycle – via actual actor/stunt double riding into auditorium – to rescue John. He takes John back through the portal and into the future war between humans and machines while Sarah stays behind in the present, with the T-1000 in pursuit. After defeating him, John and T-800 make their way across the war-ravaged landscape as they head towards Skynet. Along the way, they are chased by a flying Hunter-Killer, four Mini-Hunters, and a Terminator endoskeleton.[21][22]

The duo successfully penetrate the Skynet facility and descend with the audience into Skynet's Central Core, where they battle the "T-1000000", a giant liquid-metal spider-like construct similar to a very large T-1000. The T-800 sends John to a nearby time machine that will take him back to the present while he stays behind to blow up Skynet and the T-1000000. The show ends with the ground-shaking destruction of Skynet, leaving Sarah and John alone in the present time once again. During the destruction of the T-1000000, water is sprayed from the ceiling onto the riders and then during the explosion, smoke is blown into the audience; the seats of the auditorium also lurch with a sudden drop, giving guests a final scare and ending the show with Sarah finishing the attraction by narrating that she feels that she owes her life to the Terminator for saving John's life. During this narration, the face of a Terminator endoskeleton fills the screen, morphing into Schwarzenegger's face before the film fades to black, during which John and Sarah mysteriously disappear.
6dab94ba49edfa27c3529122999112e9 (1).jpg

version

That story about how they all had to get hit the same amount of times and The Rock or someone developed a complex points system for fights so that no-one ever looked weaker than anyone else and damaged their brand was really fucking funny. I think it was @version inevitably who dug that out.
Members of the team behind the movie series told the Wall Street Journal (paywall) that actors including Jason Statham, Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson and Vin Diesel have contract demands that limit the amount of punishment their characters take in fights.

Diesel, who has been with the long-running franchise from the beginning, reportedly devised a complicated rating system tallying how many times each actor was kicked, punched or headbutted to ensure violence was being doled out equally. It was eventually deemed unworkable, but Michael Fottrell, a producer on five of the movies, confirmed to the WSJ that fights were choreographed so that no one came out looking like the definitive loser.

Diesel’s sister is reported to have been present on set asking if her brother was “going to get his licks back in” after a fight scene during rehearsal. Johnson, who had a successful career as a WWE wrestler before moving into film, is also reported to have requested his character sit down rather than lie on his back after taking a beating in a scene from 2017’s The Fate of the Furious.

IdleRich

IdleRich
The Stathe is boshing out loads of action films isn't he?
The more I think about it, reports of its death have been exaggerated.

constant escape

winter withered, warm
His most recent films are not really action though are they? I'm thinking The Nice Guys and Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, although seems he did a re-working of Predator in 2018 and Iron Man III neither of which I've seen so could be wrong.
I had Nice Guys and KKBB in mind, but you're right they aren;t action proper. They just have action sequences.

linebaugh

I meant more that Im not sure any of the action films of late will be revered in the future the same way do the 80's ones mentioned here. Will Stan and I make threads on the good old days of jason statham when the euro lads are dead and gone?

luka

I meant more that Im not sure any of the action films of late will be revered in the future the same way do the 80's ones mentioned here. Will Stan and I make threads on the good old days of jason statham when the euro lads are dead and gone?
They don't feel tied to the spirit of the time do they.

constant escape

winter withered, warm
I like the Fast and Furious franchise. The first one really had this boiling angst underneath it all, which gradually became less pronounced as the budgets increased.

On a level of sheer production, the self-upmanship of the franchise is praiseworthy. Ever more unlikely and grand stunts. In the seventh one they had a car with its brakes disables, jumping from skyscraper to skyscraper in Dubai.