Breakfast Club
Road Warrior
Ferris Bueller
Poltergeist
Spinal Tap
Fatal Attraction
Heathers

luka

Never seen Beverly Hills Cop either. A lot of holes in my cultural education.

version

Yeah, I've never seen that either. I still need to watch the Lethal Weapon series too. I've only ever caught bits and pieces on TV.

luka

It's not a great period for cinema obviously but it's the foundation for what we have now I suppose.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I used to prefer T2, but gradually came around to the first one. I prefer the atmosphere of the first. It's a bit more raw. I like the Sarah becoming a Terminator, the Terminator becoming a human flip in T2 though. Also that Cameron made a point of the villain being a cop.

“The Terminator films are not really about the human race getting killed of by future machines. They’re about us losing touch with our own humanity and becoming machines, which allows us to kill and brutalize each other,” he says. “Cops think all non-cops as less than they are, stupid, weak, and evil. They dehumanize the people they are sworn to protect and desensitize themselves in order to do that job.”
Someone was saying on here a while ago that the bar scene in T2 was filmed across the street and at the same time from the spot where the cops beat the hell out of Rodney King, and that the guy who filmed the beating also caught a little of scene being shot for the film in the background.

woops

is not like other people
If you've never seen Back to the Future you've got a treat in store, watch the whole trilogy, the way they work together is great

I should watch or rewatch Die Hard myself I'm sure it's up there with Bruce W in his great period

Heathers is probably best watched when you're a teenager yourself and crave revenge and rebellion (edit: and winona ryder) but watch it anyway

80s: Great period for cinema? It's not the 70s auteurs with their desperate loners in saturated dreamscapes but it does have a very complete aesthetic, slick and immoral and wholesome all at the same time.

My recent dips in include Throw Momma from the Train which is almost surreal in its failure and 48 Hours which has the two great lead performances which are slick etc all at the same etc Unbelievably these were both directed by Walter Hill who did The Warriors and The Driver in the 70s.

luka

it does have a very complete aesthetic, slick and immoral and wholesome all at the same time.

We could analyse this aesthetic all day but probably this sums it up. We grew up in a toy franchise product placement Cold War propaganda media enironment that, none the less, seems relatively wholesome in retrospect.

luka

Everyone in the seventies was a paedophile which of course is not very wholesome

luka

Our era seems to have been lighter in paedophiles. Less seedy generally. Less Grim Brittannia thread.

luka

I don't have much nostalgia for it, as media environment, because I wasn't really immersed in it. I was more into football and riding my bike and stuff but I like looking at it now, as a historian and scholar.

luka

I remember more kids stuff anyway, like The Goonies or Harry and the Hendersons or Honey I Shrunk the Kids. I didn't get a chance to watch the adult stuff. Just American children pouring out unfeasibly large bowls of Frosty Flakes and being obnoxious to their parents.

woops

is not like other people
you were aware of your die hards and predators though from (like you said) the kids who "were" allowed to watch 18-rated films yakking about them at school next day

luka

That's right. You had almost watched all the best/goriest scenes because you heard them recreated in conversation so often

luka

Eg three tit girl in total recall. It's a disappointment when you see these scenes in real life later on. They can never measure up.

luka

Part of the reason I'm fascinated by it is that it's my childhood, and the other part if that the Great America Trump promised to restore was very explicitly Reagans America. Kick ass and no apologies America. So there's a rhyme there.