boxedjoy

This is not even worth responding to
It's a serious question. If they are out there I want to hear them. I'm pretty ignorant about this stuff becauseI I've invested all my energy learning about stuff I'm actually interested in aesthetically.

luka

You were up really early or really late BoxedJoy.

I don't think the world worked like that in the olden days to be honest. But I did this perfunctory Google search for you

21 of the greatest women composers in classical music​

From Hildegard in the 12th century through to the present day, women have made a significant contribution to classical music which has often been overlooked...

boxedjoy

"Perfunctory Google search" is the exact term for the work I didn't do but I'm interested in the answer in a specific way - the ones you don't have to go looking for and the work they composed that's interested into the canon.

luka

What if they don't exist? And why would you be interested in them if you don't even like classical music anyway? I don't get it. Classical music is awful why would it be any different if a woman made it?

boxedjoy

Classical, opera, jazz and metal are all styles I have no ear for. I couldn't tell you what makes a song or piece or performance better than any other in the same style. I haven't trained my ears to do the work via a lifetime of listening like I have with pop and dance etc

luka

It's boring. That's why they never look like they're having a laugh while they're playing it. Leave it for Gus and his crusade to defend Western Culture and Judeo-Christian Values.

luka

Orchestras full of people who were bullied by their parents into practicing some stupid instrument like the oboe or the viola from the age of five never allowed to go out and play football with the lads or throw stones at windows

boxedjoy

What if they don't exist? And why would you be interested in them if you don't even like classical music anyway? I don't get it. Classical music is awful why would it be any different if a woman made it?
I'm interested because the stuff I know is dilletante level by the Big Names. It's like saying you don't like dance music because you listened to a Pete Tong set on Friday night on Radio 1. And I don't expect to like music just because it's by a woman etc but at the same time my own library has always skewed towards female artists and voices - not deliberately but just my own aesthetic biases - so that's why I wonder if a non-obvious canon has a different appeal.

boxedjoy

When I was in primary school we all got the chance to learn a traditional musical instrument. I picked the flute. I stuck with it until I was 16. I got good enough to play pieces at Grade 5, which is Standard Grade level in Scotland, I assume it's the equivalent of GCSE level elsewhere. We could have learned clarinet or trumpet instead but not any "useful" instruments like guitar or drums, or anything like electronic instruments and digital composition and production etc.

One of the things about learning an instrument is that to get good at it requires rehearsal, which sounds really obvious but was completely overlooked by how they divided up resources for teaching it. The other girl in my class who learned flute lived in a three bedroom house with a garage and could go practice the pieces in a quiet space at home. I lived in a two bedroom council flat so if it wasn't the neighbours complaining it was my own family telling me after ten mins they'd had enough. You can't put headphones on an acoustic instrument after all. It means this world, of learning and playing classical music, is only available to people of a certain privilege and circumstance, and that really puts me off it as a culture.

boxedjoy

i don't care about any of that tbh I just don't like it jungles much better
Imagine a school where for your music lesson your teacher lets you play with a sampler and some Amen breaks and takes it as seriously as breathing technique while learning a Shostakovich.

luka

Imagine a school where for your music lesson your teacher lets you play with a sampler and some Amen breaks and takes it as seriously as breathing technique while learning a Shostakovich.
Dizzee learned Cubase in his school

luka

“Special thanx to Mr. Smith, da best music teacher Langdon Park ever let go (you fools). I’ll never forget da way you kept the faith in me, even when things looked grim.”

boxedjoy

Four Tet and Burial went to the same school and learned stuff there too didn't they?

We got two hours a week of Music class time to prepare for exams. We had eight students and three rooms so some of us had to go practice in a literal cupboard. Maybe I could have become Actual Talented if we hadn't had a school department taught by 60 yr olds welded to traditionalism