come discuss something on /mu/ with me real quick

What do you think about vapourwave suspended? What might you extrapolate from a purse like ‘disembodied ache’ ? No trolling please!

Someone should collect them into an essay or maybe make an animation in the style of the end credits of a 90s video game rolling infinitely with ‘nobody here’ on loop

luka

i dont think we should share those tweets hes an enemy of the forum but it is an analogue of the way mass media replicates the same 'spaces' on every screen/page in every home

"Nomadalgia, the sickness of travel, would be a complement to, not the opposite of, the sickness for home, nostalgia. (And what of the relation between nomadalgia and hauntology?) It's entirely fitting that the final track, 'FM', should invoke both 'a return home' and radio (not the only reference to that ghost-medium on the LP), since internet radio - with local stations available from any hotel in the world - is perhaps more than anything else the objective correlative of our current condition. A condition in which, as Zizek so aptly puts it, 'global harmony and solipsism strangely coincide. That is to say, does not our immersion in cyberspace go hand in hand with our reduction to a Leibnizian monad which, although 'without windows' that would directly open up to external reality, mirrors in itself the entire universe? Are we not more and more monads, interacting alone with the PC screen, encountering only the virtual simulacra, and yet immersed more than ever in the global network, synchronously communicating with the entire globe?'"

other_life

bioconfused
i was trying to make a more meta-point about vaporwave and related music as emblematic of the 2010's, + its production as a past-time of people a certain age, + trying to gain insight into the social circles that produced it that needed collective input to really be made but sure. re-iterate the same points from the adam harper dummy article. that's fine

other_life

bioconfused
these are the three records i managed to link in the /mu/ thread before i gave up on it
these were also huge for me when they came out
the point of linking these 5 records is that they are all outliers, the representatives of the genre that popularised it further (reserve special disdain for dream catalogue) ran with vaporwave in the opposite direction, and that all this shit about 'ooh aah smoothness dematerialisation wah boo hoo' does not apply to them

other_life

bioconfused
i am sick of traveling through cyberspace the same way i'm sick of traveling through its analogue in real space - endless retail spaces. there is a way to express this sickness -using computer music- that does not, in the same, mistake it for health nor succumb to it with resignation.

luka

you cant realistically expect us to listen to the music. we can talk about it but dont ask us to listen to it. its not very good.

luka

and you cant reasonably expect us to guess what you want us to say and then get peevish when we dont say it. why dont you say it?

other_life

bioconfused
the original thread on /mu/ isn't even about 'vaporwave'-as-such

"subject: best internet music of the 2010s
'internet music' meaning
>a) released and promoted through the internet primarily
>b) could not be produced without the internet (either through availability of software or techniques ethics of sampling)"

i am interested in people discarding vaporwave as a framework and, as a lark, adopting this one. it subsumes vaporwave but also necessarily includes things which definitely are not

other_life

bioconfused
but if all you're interested in is being dismissive of vaporwave because on the surface it's very goofy, that's fine too

luka

internet music thread here you might like

but if all you're interested in is being dismissive of vaporwave because on the surface it's very goofy, that's fine too

Corpsey was being dismissive but I’m genuinely interested actually. I haven’t read the dummy article but if I or luka hit on similar points then that says something doesn’t it? Like I said I haven’t delved in enough but I’d love to hear more about the bits love and what they mean to you

other_life

bioconfused
all you have to do is listen to the records. out of countless 1000s of things uploaded to bandcamp and soundcloud i picked 5. i'm no longer interested in what i have to say about this stuff because i've said it so many times in so many places in so many ways. i'm trying to invite people from the outside in.