luka

note the reference to the australian institute of sport. this absolutely infuriated the english with its success
and we spent literally hundreds of millions to overhaul it. insane really.

luka

i personally feel no affection in fact i feel distaste for bradley wiggins and steve redgrave

luka

daley thompson was sort of before my time in that i didnt watch his definitive performances but he was a huge figure in the media ladnscape of my childhood

luka

note the reference to the australian institute of sport. this absolutely infuriated the english with its success
and we spent literally hundreds of millions to overhaul it. insane really.
this was a national debate, not really a debate, but a change of heart in which we abandoned the gentleman amateur ethos and embarced the win at al costs attitude we identified with australia paving the way for eg team sky and their bending or breaking of the rules.

luka

i consider this to be an absolutely pivotal moment in our national history becasue of course it didnt only apply to sport

luka

this is just one of many things which are no longer possible. the capitalist competition heats up without respite and no one is allowed a lunch time pint any more. you have to seek every advantage. go to the gym. devleop a strong handshake. bulge out of your austin reed shirt. go to bed early on the weekend.
and that trickles down. now everyone has to start the day with a broccoli and kale smoothie. everyone has to search for each tiny micro advantage over the competition.
from dating to the job market. everything heats up. no rest for the wicked.
i always like to say professional sports led the way. wegner comes in and forces tony adams and paul merson to eat broccoil pasta bake. no drinking mid-week boys.

IdleRich

IdleRich
daley thompson was sort of before my time in that i didnt watch his definitive performances but he was a huge figure in the media ladnscape of my childhood
I liked when Daley Thompson said that he always trained on Christmas Day cos he knew his rivals would take a day off and he would gain on them.