catalog

it's like that article that about jesus that version posted. you want to cast the first stone, but you aren't brave enough to own it plainly.

luka

and this is what i mean about not being able to read and this is why it makes life so difficult for you

luka

the last time i used the phrase, as far as i can remember, was to say, in reference to the Thought of Stan, 'a lot of people say it is some form of Nazism'.
that is not becasue i am seriously trying to convince people that 'a lot of people' say that Stan is a Nazi, its actually just a joke.

catalog

but jokes should be funny and work on the principle of surprise. you just keep doing it all the time. it's become boring. predictable.

luka

the joke is based on a)calling Stan a Nazi and b)what you rightly identify as a disavowel. where you go wrong is in assuming this is meant to be a sleight of hand and remain undetected when in fact it is meant to be upfront and part of the explicit meaning

luka

these are not particularly sophisticated concepts, but they do require a base level of literacy.

luka

and for the comparison to work i would have to be trying to create a pile on, a public stoning, which is very clearly not the case.
in the example above what is being leveraged are two caricatures, a caricature of Stan as Nazi (which dates back to the horrified
reaction to his first ever post) and a caricature of me as tinpot tyrant.

linebaugh

but does he mean it? my guess is, probably not most of the time. it's more a succession of dramatic teenage poses. which i quite like. he doesn't want to be normal. but to stand out on twitter you have to be insane.
He does it all day though. What makes teens capricious are the idle periods. That's primarily what I meant by insane- his positions are peculiar of course but its the speed and consistency he blasts them thats insane

luka

thats true. good point. it is relentless. but i guess you maybe get trapped into that once you have built a profile, something very tenuous and built on air, that you might one day be able to convert into appreciable income, but for now you must work full time, for free

luka

i heard a bit of an interview with him where he said he had sold 250 copies of his first book, which is by no
means negligable, (its a lot more than ive sold or even printed of any of mine for instance) but its not an income

catalog

and for the comparison to work i would have to be trying to create a pile on, a public stoning, which is very clearly not the case.
in the example above what is being leveraged are two caricatures, a caricature of Stan as Nazi (which dates back to the horrified
reaction to his first ever post) and a caricature of me as tinpot tyrant.
i think you are trying to create conditions for a pile on, but doing it in a sneaky way where you make out like you're not. let's analyse it the next time you do it.

luka

why dont you use examples alerady extant? i might change my behaviour in future so as to negate your thesis, 'in a sneaky way'

catalog

so this for example

this is a good line. i know a lot of people here really, really hate version but i'd stick up for him, provisionally, to some extent, based on the odd good line like this.

ok, so maybe it's a joke, but maybe it's also a bit hurtful? maybe being hurtful is not your intention at all, in which case fair enough. you would say you are being funny, i would say you are not.