luka

thats true. good point. it is relentless. but i guess you maybe get trapped into that once you have built a profile, something very tenuous and built on air, that you might one day be able to convert into appreciable income, but for now you must work full time, for free
the difficulty is that while you can get noticed by being an extreme nutter on social media being an extreme nutter precludes you from being emplyed on mainstream media platforms

linebaugh

Catalog I do have to say this is a weird battle to fight. I dont think the 'lots of people' joke is mean spirited or annoying its clearly a joke. Theres plenty of better reasons to call luke a dick- he just called us both illiterate!

catalog

version needs encouragement
ok, fine. if you think so. i don't wanna have a big go at you. if it's all fun and games in your head, fair enough. and i readily admit that sometimes it is really funny. i just think sometimes it can come off a bit nasty as well, it can go a bit far.
the difficulty is that while you can get noticed by being an extreme nutter on social media being an extreme nutter precludes you from being emplyed on mainstream media platforms
i think these two things are actually related.

do you think you sometimes need to reach for an extreme position cos you think that's what people on here want? that's a genuine question.

catalog

Catalog I do have to say this is a weird battle to fight. I dont think the 'lots of people' joke is mean spirited or annoying its clearly a joke. Theres plenty of better reasons to call luke a dick- he just called us both illiterate!
i don't want to have a battle particularly, i want to talk it out and understand it.

luka

me here? there's a performance aspect of course and that often involves skirting a line and (as 'a lot of peoples') school reports will often indicate, skirting a line tends to inadvertently crossing it from time to time. and there is a natural ambiguity and grey area between
acting a tinpot tyrant and being one and part of the fun and part of the joke depends on that ambiguity, that is the field of play itself
but necessarily it can be 'problematic'

catalog

it's like the article said: "casting the first stone".

the idea gets introduced, whether or not its dressed as a joke.

it enters.

and then that does something, allows something. allows that mimetic process to take place.

catalog

me here? there's a performance aspect of course and that often involves skirting a line and (as 'a lot of peoples') school reports will often indicate, skirting a line tends to inadvertently crossing it from time to time. and there is a natural ambiguity and grey area between
acting a tinpot tyrant and being one and part of the fun and part of the joke depends on that ambiguity, that is the field of play itself
but necessarily it can be 'problematic'
so a bit like this logo guy? do you think he's doing something similar, on a different scale? (i don't know a lot about him tho)

luka

and there is, as with drunkeness, a tendency to get 'carried away' and what carried away means and involves is quite interesing i think

luka

so a bit like this logo guy? do you think he's doing something similar, on a different scale? (i don't know a lot about him tho)
no he is a lot less sophisticated than i am. smarter in some ways but less sophisticated

luka

it enters.

and then that does something, allows something. allows that mimetic process to take place.
i would think of this actually more as an emotional contagion and a group giddiness which can be quite intoxicating and,
most importantly, fun

Last edited:

linebaugh

it enters.

I think thats a danger for the common folk but can work fine in our ivory tower of top minds.

linebaugh

Trust is big. If everyone believes the others can and will take the mask off after you can get away with a lot in that bubble. I think thats a big reason why Nick Mullen is so popular- he'll spend an hour making the most heinous jokes imaginable but the show is framed in a way and he couches his opinions enough to have the listener trust that its really all fun and games and he has generally the same opinions most sensible people do.

luka

trust is vital and there have been many incidents in which that trust has broken down for one reason or another (and im not saying im not partly culpable) and when that happens this place gets very posionous very quickly

catalog

i would think of this actually ore as an emotional contagion and a group giddiness which can be quite intoxicating and,
most importantly, fun

i do agree that it's fun sometimes. i just find it very annoying the last few times you've done it. i don't want to hurt your feelings or hamstring you from being who you are.

But when you make it about people on here, again and again, it can become a bit much. that's really all i wanted to say.

luka

ok well i do think its good to raise it and youre being very grown up so i will try and rein it in and you can send me a pm if you think im going over the top at any point

linebaugh

Its tough because jabbing at your lads is the pinnacle of straight male to male relationships for me. Nothing feels better than calling mvuent a weeb and him in turn implying Im someone with a deep emotional connection to odd future wolf gang kill them all

linebaugh

Male relationships are a bit shit generally it's like we sacrificed everything in order comfortably call each other cunts. But like all Faustian bargains oh is it sweet

luka

also where people like me and limburger are very highly intelligent, a lot of people would say genius level, but we are here to commune with the everyman, we have to descend from the olympian heights and get with the banter programme. this is called 'the common touch'

luka

Male relationships are a bit shit generally it's like we sacrificed everything in order comfortably call each other cunts. But like all Faustian bargains oh is it sweet
there's almost always an edge to them, some ambiguous violent thing concealed in them,