Transfer Phenomena

version

I wasted my GCSE year playing the original DOOM. Non. Stop. Eventually I began to hallucinate the swaying shotgun in front of me when I got up to walk around.

index.php
I once got trapped in an FPS-style loop after smoking a bong full of salvia at a festival. It felt like I was suddenly looking at the world through a screen and I could see my hand and couldn't stop strafing to the left, like someone was holding down the joystick, but I was sat stationary in a chair.

wektor

I once got trapped in an FPS-style loop after smoking a bong full of salvia at a festival. It felt like I was suddenly looking at the world through a screen and I could see my hand and couldn't stop strafing to the left, like someone was holding down the joystick, but I was sat stationary in a chair.
know the feeling, I think it's actually gravity

IdleRich

IdleRich
My friend has just got a job moderating youtube content and as part of it he has been shown loads of examples of hate speech and the ways people try and smuggle things in - relevant here are a number of games that he has to watch out for... a holocaust game where you build concentration camps and choose where to put showers etc another one where you gotta gun down loads of black people and then move on to a sewer level where the bad guys are hasidic Jews....

IdleRich

IdleRich
He has to recognise these games and be aware of their uses. Like a video talking about one as a genuine learning tool may be ok, whereas one just celebrating them is not so cool.

version

My friend has just got a job moderating youtube content and as part of it he has been shown loads of examples of hate speech and the ways people try and smuggle things in - relevant here are a number of games that he has to watch out for... a holocaust game where you build concentration camps and choose where to put showers etc another one where you gotta gun down loads of black people and then move on to a sewer level where the bad guys are hasidic Jews....
That's some terribly disguised smuggling.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I'm not saying that the game itself was sugar coating things, but he has to know about the game (in fact there were something like 25 such games) so as to be able to spot references to it. Along with other more standard code words and phrases like, for example, when people say "the you know whos" he has to spot that that's a racist code meaning Jews.
For example he might need to differentiate between say a news organisation doing a report on a far right group and saying that they made game x and what it's about, and, on the other hand, something which looks like that at first, but which in fact might turn into someone celebrating the game and advocating it.
I probably didn't make that very clear cos I was at a bbq tucking into fucking loads of beef that he was serving me. The games aspect of it suddenly struck me as relevant to this thread and so I made a half-arsed and garbled attempt to explain it and kinda landed in the middle in a way that made it confusing - apologies for that.

william_kent

I'm confused about the "Hol Sim" - is the point to demonstrate that it would be impossible, which I thought was the standard line amongst the far right ( David Irving et al.,)?

This discussion has reminded me of a Playstation 3 game that was a bestseller, available in all high street shops that sold games: Dead Island, which must be the biggest piece of racist shit that I have had the misfortune to play. My doubts were raised at the character selection screen - "tank build?" - then select the black guy who looks like Mr T, all muscle and brawn, "fleet and quick" - select the Chinese girl, can do fast martial arts, etc., - once that's done it's pretty standard "rescue a survivor from a beach resort because the island is swarming with zombies" missions, but then in one of the road tunnels that connect the different parts of the island I found a "secret door" ( actually really easy to spot, no skill required ) and was launched into a mini-game where you had to slaughter as many of the indigenous inhabitants of the island as possible within a set time - and wtf? They were pygmies wearing grass skirts and they had bones through their noses...and as the story progresses it gets worse as the cause of the zombie breakout is revealed - the natives are cannibals who eat the brains of their dead... I couldn't believe that this got made, let alone sold...
but, this got me wondering whether anyone else ( youtube, fb, etc., ) had noted the racist aspects of this mainstream game ( and others, where you may be battling 'terrorists', etc., ) - I'm guessing not as there was a sequel...

wektor

but, this got me wondering whether anyone else ( youtube, fb, etc., ) had noted the racist aspects of this mainstream game ( and others, where you may be battling 'terrorists', etc., ) - I'm guessing not as there was a sequel...
surprisingly...
the game business is a big deal in Poland but it's still mostly being run by personas such as the Techland CEO

wektor

Over the course of my investigation, multiple people independently shared a story of an artist who turned in some work that management disliked. The feedback they received was "pedalski", which translates to "too f**got-like".

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Yeah Cyberpunk was disappointing in hindsight. Even if many of the bugs were cleaned up. I admire how ambitious it was though, creating such a massive and intricate world, if even a cosmetic and inaccessible one.

william_kent

A couple of examples I've experienced - playing Go against a computer I've had dreams of black and white stones, desperately trying to create a second "eye" to avoid "atari"

1628873914784.png

various computer games - dreams of being stuck on platform, needing to jump to the next

after playing too much Quake - having to fight the urge to start strafe running or bunny hopping down the pavement - real world physics aren't that broken... thankfully I have never felt the desire or had the opportunity to "rocket jump" or do the trick with the grenade where you use the blast to jump high

one that disturbed me - I was watching a walking tour of Kabukicho, Tokyo and when they got to the big square with the amusement arcades I thought "oh, that's where we played the UFO catcher game", then realised that when we were there that we didn't actually go in any of the arcades and what I was remembering was the mini-game from Yakuza which is set in the same area...

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Grenade jumps are a staple in game breaking, especially in halo.

Brings me back to that point about the developers anticipating this kind of behavior and even encouraging it, by creating ledges that can only be reached via grenade jump.

sufi

lala
Lazer tag at ponders end this afternoon, transfer phenomena in full psychedelic effect
Sadly the soundtrack is moody video game music rather than raucous funfair techno20210813_155140.jpg

william_kent

Throughout Outside The Circles of Time, Grant asserts the link between various grimoires, snatched in dreams or mediumistically channeled. And key to his pulp occultism, he maintains that all these grimoires are valid fragments of a grand Akashic tome. So, we have Crowley's The Book of the Law, Blavatsky's The Book of Dyzan, Lovecraft's Al Azif ( woefully pastiched by Hay's Necronomicon, in Grant's opinion). Furthermore, fleeting glimpses of this "book" have been seen in the stories of Arthur Machen, Ambrose Bierce and Robert Chambers.

Quote from Andy Sharp's The Spaces Between: Outside The Circles of Time and Love's Secret Domain - from the Coil fanzine, man is the animal

reverse transfer phenomena - knowledge imparted in dreams

I've known a Master of their art who told me that many of their techniques came to them while dreaming