thirdform

pass the sick bucket
sure, but the muggs review has nothing to do with wokeness or the privilege of posh writers. it's just about (unknowingly?) assigning a review to someone with an axe to grind, and then not caring that the opinion is tainted.

It does though. Muggs problem with Simon is that he's too white, and, he might have a point if he wasn't so white himself. Like the vantage point of Rave rave culture, taken pan-european wide is white as hell. It's London, Sheffield and a few other cities which are fish in a pond when globally taken.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
That is completely understandable to me. If I had to interview famous people I would always bottle it. Especially on the phone, I am really shit on the phone and I spend most of any call going "what, pardon, sorry" and eventually just giving up on understanding what was said cos I simply can't ask for it to be repeated again - and that is just if I am speaking to a friend or my brother or something, what if it was a celebrity? Whenever I read an interview and it says somewhere that it was conducted by phone I get this awful feeling in my stomach and wonder how people are able to do it.

It's very easy, famous people are deserving of contempt. Very simple. Just treat them like your line manager. No problem.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I agree, but it doesn't mean that I would be able to do it.

I spoke to Ibrahim Tatlises when my dad found him in the airport in Istanbul. He promised he'd come to England for a concert. This was in 2005 or something. Bastard didn't even try.

For the scope of this, this guy is the equivalent of Michael Jackson in the middle East, balkans, central asian turkic republics, etc.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Since then I've never been afraid of celebrities. If he promised me a concert and reneged on it then why should I be scared?

IdleRich

IdleRich
It's actually a strange thing, I wouldn't be scared of meeting a celebrity, any of them I think, but I would hate to interview one in person and I would find it all but impossible to interview them by phone - thinking about it, I suppose the pressure would be coming more from the interview end than the celebrity end, that's why on the phone I would be worst of all. I guess the knowledge that I would almost certainly fuck up and embarrass everyone concerned combined with the fact that it was something that so many people would have loved to be offered the chance to do and if they were given that chance, would do it much better than I.
That explains why, if someone were to ask me this rather crass question

If Danni Minogue asked you to go to bed with her, would fear eat your soul then as well?

I would be truthfully able to answer "nope" as there would be no pressure from a load of readers watching and feeling that they were able to do it better. I am assuming here that the performance would not be broadcast though - is that reasonable @craner? I'm asking you cos it's your thought experiment if i can dignify it with that name.

Just a weird thing, but in general I agree, I am not at all afraid to meet celebrities as a rule, there may be a couple of whom I would be nervous but that would be more to do with how I had interacted with their art over the years than their level of fame.

Benny Bunter

'Running Bands' is traumatising. It’s a disturbing, mutagenic dystopia manifest as music. You can almost hear neck tendons tearing through the sheer vocal stress of Lil Keed’s synthetic shrieks. The instrumental is similarly sickening; an incessant, malaria-inducing mosquito whirring that feels like some once-repressed memory being reversed and replayed over and over and over again in your mind’s eye.

xenogoth

looking for an exit
No, I mean your milieu are completely ignorant of developments in East Asia for the past 40 years. Your idea of the proletariat is so laughably out of date let alone historically accurate. You don't deserve to be compared to Kit, who shits upon you from Olympian heights.

Don't start ringing me when you run as an mp in Wiltshire, I have no interest in such theatrics, although, Thomas Gann might.
You seem to have invented a man to be mad at, and I'm sorry to tell you he bears no resemblance to me.

Last edited:

Leo

It does though. Muggs problem with Simon is that he's too white, and, he might have a point if he wasn't so white himself. Like the vantage point of Rave rave culture, taken pan-european wide is white as hell. It's London, Sheffield and a few other cities which are fish in a pond when globally taken.

all due respect, that wasn't my point. the focus of my original comment was the wire, not muggs.

In this case, i wasn't faulting muggs (although the review was obviously a shit thing to do). I was faulting the wire for commissioning a review from someone who clearly has an axe to grind, and then not having the editorial integrity to ditch the review once they got it, or ask for a rewrite. if they didn't realize Joe had an axe to grind before it was assigned, it should have been bleeding obvious after they got the draft.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
all due respect, that wasn't my point. the focus of my original comment was the wire, not muggs.

In this case, i wasn't faulting muggs (although the review was obviously a shit thing to do). I was faulting the wire for commissioning a review from someone who clearly has an axe to grind, and then not having the editorial integrity to ditch the review once they got it, or ask for a rewrite. if they didn't realize Joe had an axe to grind before it was assigned, it should have been bleeding obvious after they got the draft.

You assume they care about that.

Reactions: Leo