Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
I don't know of a good-faith argument for why capital gains are taxed at lower rates than income from work, but I have doubts about pushing up tax rates any higher for the top brackets. There may be other avenues for recirculating wealth, but that doesn't seem like the way to do it, to me.

luka

I don't know of a good-faith argument for why capital gains are taxed at lower rates than income from work, but I have doubts about pushing up tax rates any higher for the top brackets. There may be other avenues for recirculating wealth, but that doesn't seem like the way to do it, to me.
why is that?

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
I just find it odd that your income from investments is taxed less than your income from actually working.

You could argue that if your cost basis came from actual work, then there shouldn't be a sort of double tax, but really I doubt that is the case for many of the top investors.

sus

I just find it odd that your income from investments is taxed less than your income from actually working.

You could argue that if your cost basis came from actual work, then there shouldn't be a sort of double tax, but really I doubt that is the case for many of the top investors.
I think we agree but are curious why, despite this, you don't support pushing taxes up as a means to recirculate the wealth. But perhaps im misrepresenting Mr Davies

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
I'm not familiar with corporate tax policy or policy regarding inheritance, so as far as I know those rates could be increased within reason, but I also see potential here for driving capital offshore, be it as savings or investment, which makes this a question about more than just whether or not the wealthy can afford to be taxed several times more than other income levels, which they certainly can.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
I'm not familiar with corporate tax policy or policy regarding inheritance, so as far as I know those rates could be increased within reason, but I also see potential here for driving capital offshore, be it as savings or investment, which makes this a question about more than just whether or not the wealthy can afford to be taxed several times more than other income levels, which they certainly can.
So I sense, save for some innovative way of enforcing taxation which I don't see the IRS being capable of any time soon, that past a certain taxation threshold, we go from actually recirculating more wealth via internal federal revenue, to recirculating the same amount of wealth, but with less domestic investment, seeing as the additional would-be taxed wealth could simply be moved out of the jurisdiction of the US federal government.

Many things I could be wrong about here, though.

Reactions: sus

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
In principle yes, even something like a 50% income tax rate (maybe say for $750,000 income bracket?) could be great for the sort of ambitious federal programs I think we need, but unless we can block off major avenues for tax evasion - which could just be a matter of policy innovation - this just doesn't strike me as a possibility.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
And so for the time being "Tax the Rich" strikes me as an untenable demand, beyond the levels we are already failing to tax them at. The IRS is undermanned and technically ill-equipped to pursue the more sophisticated tax returns, and thus can really just handle the relatively simple ones, the ones far less deserving of audits, from what I gather.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Really I would almost go as far as to say its primarily performative, this progressive image. Although that would depend on how much AOC believes in it herself - and I would expect her to have considerably deeper familiarity with this than I do, so maybe there are already viable options for actually facilitating such higher taxes.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
But in any case, she pulls off that dress better than anyone else that comes to mind, and I mean that. Not just her body, but her.