Tom Waits vs. David Bowie

?

• Total voters

woops

is not like other people
some people might say, like, pop is about great tunes man, or pop is about teenage girls
or pop is image, but only our Gus could say
synthesis, logistics, deployment.
That's what pop is.
i dunno, i reckon @thirdform could get behind this. the great volksmusik being a push on behalf the proletariat

luka

im not criticising. its just extraordinary. how did Gus get made? what produced him? what made him this way? its a miracle!

catalog

Any issue or kink can be ironed out by tweaking. You can break everything down into steps that can be solved.

sus

its the phrase that made me laugh. i dont know if its a lie cos ive got no idea what it means. i just love the
fact that someone can say these things
synthesis > yeah for sure, i love kraftwerk

deployment > what like bringing out the chorus at the right moment? ok

logistics > isn't this about scheduling van deliveries or something? dunno what thats got to do with gr8 pop acts
OK I see what you mean.

Logistics / synthesis / deployment: scouting new sounds, mixing them together into a package that's greater than its parts ("emergence"), bringing out the potentials of scouted parts, mechanisms... sure, "writing great hooks" is part of this

IdleRich

IdleRich
It's like the Parthenon, all its supposed architectural and engineering innovations were first used on previous temples. But the Parthenon manages to tie all those innovations together to make something incredible and lush and out-of-this-world.
Sounds like Bowie... we should have a thread.

sus

My point is that mixing together formal innovations and developing a world, an aesthetic, a vibe—creating a package where all the parts work together incredibly effectively—that's a big thing, a big value add, not to be scoffed at. It isn't the end-all be-all, pay homage to the places they got their parts—but c'mon now, the people they got parts from got their parts from elsewhere also. That's just what ideas are, bla bla bla I'm not saying anything new we all know this, an idea "is" a remix, just like an idea "is" a metaphor (Hofstadter, Lakoff, pick your vocalist)

IdleRich

IdleRich
cultural appropriation is the name of the game, plagiarism is necessary progress implies it etc.

it's my understanding that classical architecture was considered a branch of mathematics, that proportion and scale was an expression of mathematical laws (or axioms or whatever you call them), so there was bound to be a parthenon sooner or later
Axioms tell you what can happen not what will happen.

catalog

My point is that mixing together formal innovations and developing a world, an aesthetic, a vibe—creating a package where all the parts work together incredibly effectively—that's a big thing, a big value add, not to be scoffed at. It isn't the end-all be-all, pay homage to the places they got their parts—but c'mon now, the people they got parts from got their parts from elsewhere also. That's just what ideas are, bla bla bla I'm not saying anything new we all know this, an idea "is" a remix, just like an idea "is" a metaphor (Hofstadter, Lakoff, pick your vocalist)
Additional steps need to add value, the dial needs to be moved.

woops

is not like other people
Sounds like Bowie... we should have a thread.
no one would say "sounds like tom waits... i think he's an amazing magpie who combines the best bits of other people's achievements into a whole greater than etc etc" so my vote is cast.