Tom Waits vs. David Bowie

?

• Total voters

sus

The reason Luke hates them both is because they used comedy voices to distract people from their outrageous theft of other people’s ideas. Isn’t it Luke?
Weird Modernist aesthetic ITT/on this board of caring more about mechanism innovation than about synthesis, logistics, deployment.

sus

But the great pop acts are always acts of synthesis, logistics, deployment.

That's what pop is, at a fundamental level.

sus

"Let me figure out how to take someone else's invented mechanism and use it more powerfully than they managed to"

sus

It's like the Parthenon, all its supposed architectural and engineering innovations were first used on previous temples. But the Parthenon manages to tie all those innovations together to make something incredible and lush and out-of-this-world.

sus

i refer you to the kanye or nay thread no one has liked him for ages
Sure, evidence to my point

I mean it depends what you mean by "ages" tho

Are we talking Dropout/Registration era or MBDTF era

He's clearly a bit past-peak

sus

It's very strange that anyone on this board cares about "theft" of ideas or formal motifs, as if the point of innovations weren't to be used and integration and iterated on

woops

is not like other people
It's very strange that anyone on this board cares about "theft" of ideas or formal motifs, as if the point of innovations weren't to be used and integration and iterated on
cultural appropriation is the name of the game, plagiarism is necessary progress implies it etc.
It's like the Parthenon, all its supposed architectural and engineering innovations were first used on previous temples. But the Parthenon manages to tie all those innovations together to make something incredible and lush and out-of-this-world.
it's my understanding that classical architecture was considered a branch of mathematics, that proportion and scale was an expression of mathematical laws (or axioms or whatever you call them), so there was bound to be a parthenon sooner or later

sus

I can only imagine this is one big act of torque epistemology. A reaction to public overestimation, to a mistaken idea of Bowie as inventor. (See his personification as Tesla in The Prestige)

woops

is not like other people
Sure, evidence to my point

I mean it depends what you mean by "ages" tho

Are we talking Dropout/Registration era or MBDTF era

He's clearly a bit past-peak
you edited this post after me reply, i haven't heard anything i liked from him since this

you want us all to be past-peak?

catalog

With Kanye what happens to me is that I like one of his tunes a lot. Like have it on repeat for ages. That was the case with these three tunes

(cos I just loved how funny it was and it was great to dance to)

(cos of the kode9 remix)

(cos of the Arthur jafa video)

But then something happens and I find the songs intolerable and cannot listen to them anymore.

Not listened to new album yet. Apparently blackhaine choreographed a video and Dean blunt made him a beat but he didn't use it.

luka

some people might say, like, pop is about great tunes man, or pop is about teenage girls
or pop is image, but only our Gus could say
synthesis, logistics, deployment.
That's what pop is.

woops

is not like other people
But the great pop acts are always acts of synthesis, logistics, deployment.

That's what pop is, at a fundamental level.
synthesis > yeah for sure, i love kraftwerk

deployment > what like bringing out the chorus at the right moment? ok

logistics > isn't this about scheduling van deliveries or something? dunno what thats got to do with gr8 pop acts