IdleRich

IdleRich
I just met a colleague in real life for the first time, and went to a small reunion of his old friends, located in the suburbs around the Pentagon, appropriately called Pentagon City. Met a couple guys there who worked at In-Q-Tel, which I only just learned about a couple weeks ago, and which I thought was a VC organ of the CIA. Turns out it’s an independent nonprofit that works with a variety of intelligence bodies, to invest in national security technology that otherwise wouldn’t receive capital if left at the whim of private VC firms seeking ROI. Not unlike DARPA and IARPA, but in this case it’s a private nonprofit, whereas I think those two are formally within the executive branch. Could be wrong though.
Probably I'm stupid but a lot of these acronyms have lost me. OK, I get that ROI is obviously Republic of Ireland and VC is Vietcong of course, but a lot of the others ones are completely unknown to me I'm afraid and I'm not even completely clear about how the Vietcong fit into this to be honest.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
DARPA is the Domestic Association of Retired Professional Armwrestlers, and IARPA is the same but International. CIA is Central Intelligence Agency obviously.

luka

A similar declaration came from the managing director of Olympiakos: “I think what’s clear is that Greek football is run by a fascist parastate governed by illegality and organised crime,” Ioannis Vrentzos said. “In the last three years an unlawful regime has been operating from Maximos Mansion [the prime minister’s office] with links and connections to organised gangs.”

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
My brother-in-law works for GCHQ. He and his wife are planning to move to Canada next year, and she's already got a job lined up which was fairly easy because she's a GP, but it's been tricky for him because he can't really talk about anything he does at work.

IdleRich

IdleRich
My brother-in-law works for GCHQ. He and his wife are planning to move to Canada next year, and she's already got a job lined up which was fairly easy because she's a GP, but it's been tricky for him because he can't really talk about anything he does at work.
And if he did it would reveal his lack of discretion and suitably for the job he holds... seems to be a perfectly constructed catch 22-style trap.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
And if he did it would reveal his lack of discretion and suitably for the job he holds... seems to be a perfectly constructed catch 22-style trap.
He's got tons of skills - e.g. fluent in Arabic, good at programming, in fact combinations of abilities probably not often found in one person - so he can talk about what he can do. It's just that if they say "Can you give us an example of when you did this in practice?", he'd probably have to say "That's classified", since it's the only job he's had since he finished studying. (Which, to me, is an odd idea in itself, since I'm on my sixth 'proper' job, i.e. not counting working in pubs and being self-employed as a private tutor.)