thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I mean he says he has no herpes but I have evidence here crystal clear

I think there's some accuracy there. I remember the subtle transition to utter tedium between 96 and 97 at a semi-famous d&b club night in Leeds that I attended weekly. It was on my 19th birthday that I suddenly realised how fucking dire things had got. In an endless stream of tech-step and jump-up tunes that ended, finally, at about 3am, I picked out about 3 different ideas. Your average jungle tune from 1994 would have about 3 ideas every 10 seconds! I decamped to Northern Soul clubs promptly, and my life improved beyond measure. Apart from anything else, it was fun to dance to. I mean, this is supposed to be dance music, right?

Why would you go to a 60s northern soul night full of geriatrics as a yout in 1997 except to contract an STD? That was the era of boundless innovation. there were always alternatives to jungle!

@dilbert1 this is why we made fun haram on dissensus.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
@dilbert1 a very clever man on this forum - embrace the psychoanalysis crew!

Jungle’s soundworld constitutes a sort of abstract social realism; when I listen to techstep, the beats sound like collapsing (new) buildings and the bass feels like the social fabric shredding. Jungle’s treacherous rhythms offer its audience an education in anxiety (and anxiety, according to Freud, is an essential defence mechanism, without which you’d be vulnerable to trauma). ‘It is defeat that you must learn to prepare for,’ runs the martial-arts-movie sample in Source Direct’s ‘The Cult’, a track that pioneered the post-techstep style I call ‘neurofunk’ (clinical and obsessively nuanced production, foreboding ambient drones, blips ’n’ blurts of electronic noise, and chugging, curiously inhibited two-step beats that don’t even sound like breakbeats any more). Neurofunk is the fun-free culmination of jungle’s strategy of ‘cultural resistance’: the eroticization of anxiety. Immerse yourself in the phobic, and you make dread your element.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
anxious jump up to hold the tendons in yer head in a vicelike grip.

needs to be played at +4 for the real paranoia, naturally.