forclosure

@pattycakes_ have you ever listened to any of the old Children of the Corn tracks patty? The crew Big L was in with Ma$e, Cam'ron his cousin Bloodshed and a few other people

Very rough around the edges stuff but i could see you getting alot out of them just because of how raw they are

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
this in the day was pure generic but now it seems completely mental
One of the things rap music lost when it stopped sampling (as a general rule) were these really weird/interesting sounds from jazz records

Obviously you still get weird stuff but i guess it must be generally more templatized cos its all done on Logic or whatever

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
@pattycakes_ have you ever listened to any of the old Children of the Corn tracks patty? The crew Big L was in with Ma$e, Cam'ron his cousin Bloodshed and a few other people

Very rough around the edges stuff but i could see you getting alot out of them just because of how raw they are

Actually no, but that does sound cool. Will check

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
One of the things rap music lost when it stopped sampling (as a general rule) were these really weird/interesting sounds from jazz records

Obviously you still get weird stuff but i guess it must be generally more templatized cos its all done on Logic or whatever

Much less effort is put into sound design now. I think because the gear was so limited back in the day, and the competitive nature of the scene, everyone was exploring the fuck out of every last parameter, trying to outdo each other. Producers now seem a lot more comfortable to rest on their laurels because one, it's more about the overall sonics of the tracks and how they hit you rather than the individual elements, and two, once they find a workable niche, they stick with it.

It is weird though because now the software can do almost anything you want and yet it's a relatively tame time for sound design. Brostep was kind of far out at first but that got codified pretty quick.

That whole limitations being a friend of creativity thing innit

forclosure

That and presets i think one think you and @pattycakes_ don't pick up on the fact that mixing is done more now with headphones and laptop speakers in mind rather than soundsystems

Thing with all this is as proven by like Earl Sweatshirt 's "east" American rap ears have gotten much more conservative anything that isnt the most obvious rhythms and textures gets met with the harshest of scorn and same people complain that producers don't experiment, like we're in the "content" era the problem now is more to do with the issue of dimishing returns and that affects rappers AND producers

I mean @Corpsey you say this but whens the last time you gone back to any rap albums from the early 2000s? Some of those albums were all over the place in terms of sounds rhythms and the like as weird as any of those old beats you and patty champion i think its more the familiarity of a fucked up and chopped sample you miss and let's keep it a buck rappers are more likely to listen to Sade now than like capital J jazz and those producers only really started listening to it to find stuff to make beats out of

Last edited:

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
Turned up wading through an old mix. Rare micro-woot where you open the memory bank and ah, how many years has it been since I last heard this? 28? Nooooo