craner

Beast of Burden

A lot of these 70s/80s Christmas songs still survive as strong as ever, but, if you notice, only the ones that can be treated ironically or cherished for their absurd goofiness or secular whimsy. Anything too sentimental or in any way Christian has been silently purged from the playlists. So Mariah Carey and Chris Rea have risen to the top of the pile over the years, while 'Pipes of Peace' and 'Mistletoe and Wine' are nowhere to be heard.

There is a kind of parallel with Hallmark Christmas movies, not in the irony, but in the de-Christianisation of Christmas. I've been conducting a taxonomy of these films this year and one of the things that I've noticed is that even though they idealise Christmas they also completely remove religion from it. In fact, Christianity is replaced by Christmas. Christmas stands for all the true and good values and the worst thing you can do in these films is violate the laws of Christmas. Christmas is God.

craner

Beast of Burden
Hallmark made 42 Christmas movies for the 2023 season alone. The squandering of resources for this undertaking is mind blowing.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Christianity is replaced by Christmas. Christmas stands for all the true and good values and the worst thing you can do in these films is violate the laws of Christmas. Christmas is God.
Absolutely. I don't care but it's definitely true

craner

Beast of Burden
Guru: "Yo, Emma, sing something for the people here."

Chosen for the incongruity of the first 20 seconds. The uncharitable might say, "well, you have to pay the booze bills somehow" but I think this is an admirable ecumenical gesture.