luka

there isnt becasue there isnt the same commitment to stupidy. its never as viciously close minded. thats what marks out the north

luka

and northners are just bad people in a way you dont see in the south. just unpleasnat and objectionable. and they are proud of it. stupid and commitied to stupidity. its not something you see in london.

luka

londoners are always friendly. ive never met a firendly northerner. they dont have that basic niceness and congeniality.

Benny Bunter

I feel like I have to stand up for the north now after all this slander! It's not all bad. There are lots of very gentle, intelligent souls too. And I don't like London either from the few times I've been there. I just want a quiet life by the sea

Benny Bunter

Last time I was back I visited my parents who have a house right on the coast now and it was so beautiful and calm with the best sunsets you've ever seen in your life over the solway firth

Benny Bunter

It's the towns and cities in the north that are particularly horrible, the villages are alright, just boring when you get to a certain age. I will stand up for Newcastle though I like the Geordies on the whole

craner

Beast of Burden
I dedicate this tune to @craner for when he inevitably disowns luke.

Thank you!

He's not wrong but then he's not totally right, either. I'm not even a provincial. I'm a man without identity. I was raised as English in South Wales, itself an anglicised part of Wales. Between the television set and the Gower beaches I grew up believing I lived in some remote province of northern California.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy

[it's not previewing] "Yellow Magic Orchestra's Yukihiro Takahashi has died age 70 after a battle with brain cancer."

I've really liked what little YMO I've heard and Wiki'd them to look into their music a bit more. I've been listening to some stuff they were involved in before forming the group, including this:

This album also seems good, maybe I'll dive into this whole YMO nexus

Last edited:

jenks

thread death

[it's not previewing] "Yellow Magic Orchestra's Yukihiro Takahashi has died age 70 after a battle with brain cancer."

I've really liked what little YMO I've heard and Wiki'd them to look into their music a bit more. I've been listening to some stuff they were involved in before forming the group, including this:

This album also seems good, maybe I'll dive into this whole YMO nexus

I hoped someone would’ve put something up in recognition of him. I loved that stuff in the 80s and his solo albums stand up really well. I think the suggestion is sadly that Sakamoto is very unwell too

IdleRich

IdleRich
That stuff is fine, the joyful rush of pop music cannot be denied - nor should one attempt to. On the other hand we must recognise pop for what it is, with its limitations as clear as its pleasures.

Sometimes one needs more, music of a greater depth and density, nourishment for the soul and also the mind - two concepts often wrongly considered to be in opposition to each other, as though in any moment when one truly feels sonething, they must of necessity also be a literal idiot until that feeling and all other leaves them. And by that same token, anyone acting rationally must be almost by definition an unfeeling automaton, barely half a person.

Even so it's hard to unite the two halves, only the greatest artworks can heal the soul and stimulate the mind. Drop Your Pants by DJ Fuck Off is one of the very very few that can do those things and more.

Noone can fail to be moved by the sublime, aching melancholic beauty that lies at the heart of this masterpiece, while at the same time the mind is dazzled, staggered by the simple complexity and the multiple layers of meaning packed into the deceptively straightforward lines - one could meditate for days on the meaning of the stanza where she says "fuck me" forty-seven times in a row without ever beginning to approach the tortuously twisting truth which mockingly wriggles away from under your hand just when you thought you had grasped it. My descriptions could never do it justice, you will simply have to listen to it. Also the beat is pretty sick.

Last edited: