Gen Z junglizm

john eden

male pale and stale
it's interesting that Jamaica with its obsession with bass would stick with the 7 inch format with its inferior bass response, but perhaps that is compensated for at the other end of the process by all the science of building speakers and designing woofers and so forth

one of the little jolts out of many in that Steve McQueen Lovers Rock film is seeing Mercury Sound at the blues with just the one turntable.
12” were big in the 80s and 90s in JA afaik. Dubplates famously 10”.

7 inches were a product of jukeboxes being very common in the 60s, hence the big holes in ‘em.

blissblogger

Did you like that film?

loved it. a remarkable combination of realism and dreamlike. images and moments that linger for days, weeks, months.

The other films in the Small Axe series are also very good but a little more didactic. Lover's Rock just plunges you into the experience.

I gather there's those who have a few quibbles about fidelity in certain respects- but there are so many bits that give you the Shiver of the Real. Not even to do with the music necessarily. Like the way the young man's accent switches when his white boss unexpectedly turns up at the car repair lockup. Or the fact that the boy and girl have to arrange their next tryst by turning up to a public phone booth at a certain time of day for the call.

catalog

I loved that bit where the skanker turns up, rabs a beer and gets down and it goes all gooey in the sound.

And the art choice of playing the whole of silly games and then also the entire dub where they lip sync it.

He's a genius.

catalog

The drift I get from these interviews is that everything could get modified/hacked. You use the preamp to boost the signal, the crossover unit to split the signal and decide what happens to different frequencies, the kill switches to drop everything out.

The tune selection obviously, the pre-releases and dubplates.

At every stage of the system there is scope for human intervention.

luka

you lot are making me want to watch this just so i can slag it off and say i hate it

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Lots of this stuff in this playlist that I'm listening to, like a man in a trenchcoat hanging around the perimeter of a secondary school playing field

And as blissblogger says in his opening post, it's not a pastiche of the old jungle cos it doesn't have the same ambiance/atmosphere and structure at all