diversity

luka

Imagine having a manager that can't read or write. Even in a McDonald's that would be trying but this was a library.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Some people have it quite mildly, so it'd be a bit dickish to quit a job just because you didn't like getting mis-spelled emails even though you could understand the gist of them. But if they're totally incomprehensible then that's a different thing. The fact it was in a library is pretty funny, though.

I read a fairly funny novel years ago called Incompetence, which is set in a near future in which it's illegal to sack or refuse to hire someone for any job for any reason, no matter how unsuitable they are for it. So one of the characters is a coroner who's also a tittering pervert who amuses himself by surgically swapping the body parts of corpses, there's a lapdancer who's male and 100 years old, etc.

luka

It was about competence not spelling mistakes. An incompetent manager makes everybody's life a lot harder, assuming you can't find a way to effectively marginalise them.

version

One of the hurdles is that the idea's been more or less completely co-opted and turned into a PR technique.

I saw an advert the other night about someone with down syndrome working as a chef, which is great, more power to them, but it was an advert for Colgate... What does that story have to do with toothpaste? It's just so cynical on the company's part.

The same goes for those bank adverts where they show someone getting life changing advice or help getting a job from someone at the bank. The same bank that will be giving loans to people they know are going to be ruined by them etc.

version

If it results in people feeling more comfortable at work, getting better jobs and so on then that's a positive, but I never get the impression it's coming from a place of sincerity or generosity on the employer or industry's part.