version

I attended a public lecture given by one of Mark Fisher's PhD students at Goldsmiths around five years ago - Mark was moderating the discussion and it was the only time I ever saw and heard him speak in the flesh. I went with a couple of friends, one of whom used to post reguarly on here and another who was born under communism and whose entire existance had been shaped and determined by the realities of such a system. We were all big fans of Mark's writings at the time and, really, we attended just to see him talk. The PhD student spoke for about an hour on their "research" into what housing would look like under an imagined future communism. To both myself, who had just finished three years attempting to study urban planning and housing in a British context, and to the friend who had spent their entire life living in the type of housing communism actually provides, it was a blatent clusterfuck of absolute nonsense - my friend spent most of the discussion rolling their eyes, facepalming and eventually getting quite angry with this middle-class English student going on about the life of luxury Britain is missing out on by not implementing communism. In hindsight, I understand that evening, and the subsequent discussions I had with my friend about what the left in Western countries get completely wrong about the state of the world, as the beginning of the process where I stopped following and reading the output of that whole intellectual scene, and subsequently stopped self-defining myself as left-wing.

craner

Beast of Burden
There was a better bit where he talked about the colossal self-regard involved in making these massive social prescriptions that would effect entire populations in ways that could not be predicted off the back of having read a few books. He expressed it better than this, but his anger was magical.

version

There was a better bit where he talked about the colossal self-regard involved in making these massive social prescriptions that would effect entire populations in ways that could not be predicted off the back of having read a few books. He expressed it better than this, but his anger was magical.
Was it the one I posted on the previous page?

woops

is not like other people
669w29.jpg

Leo

Will Boris freeze UK property and other assets of Russian oligarchs?

Last edited: