shakahislop

where do we collectively stand on the pace of change these days? i can't work out if i'm just old enough now to feel like this or if the world really is in a little period of accelerated change. so much of the way things work is unrecognisable from even like 2008.

luka

huge amounts of light for a world that is supposedly concerned with global warming and energy conservation. it almost feels reckless, as beautiful as it undoubtedly is

shakahislop

huge amounts of light for a world that is supposedly concerned with global warming and energy conservation. it almost feels reckless, as beautiful as it undoubtedly is
i love the empire state building, they light it up differently every day, different colours and patterns, last night it was green and red, it's the centerpiece of the whole skyline, every now and then you'll turn a corner in certain bits of queens brooklyn or manhattan and it will be there perfectly aligned with the avenue

luka

yeah its great how yove never even seen it. the shard is like that in london but better

sufi

lala
thames barrier by night is 🌠

the lighting in the tube is specifically tuned to accentuate londoners' peaky voyeurism - they actually have scientists who can boost the social hostility by subtly altering hues and tones for special occasions

sufi

lala
where do we collectively stand on the pace of change these days? i can't work out if i'm just old enough now to feel like this or if the world really is in a little period of accelerated change. so much of the way things work is unrecognisable from even like 2008.
i wonder how far we just obssessively focus on the changing stuff and are blind to the continuities/take them for granted
not that it makes a difference whether the change is just what we perceive if it still makes us constantly nervous

version

that many be true, but why the aquiline nose love? of all things.

I think it's because they think it looks more 'ethnic', also it's a podcast hosted by two women which lots of women listen to and the nose is something which women can be particularly self-conscious about. That and contrarianism's a big part of the show, so if society at large dislikes the aquiline nose then they'll champion it.

IdleRich

IdleRich
No, they're often posting before and after photos of people with aquiline noses who've had a nose job and lamenting the fact they felt they had to have it done.

They've this general sentiment that cosmetic surgery removes the variety and character from people's faces.
Well they're not wrong

IdleRich

IdleRich
it was disconcerting going from downtown nyc to jordan, everyone was smiling at me and making eye contact, the girl (one of the ones with lip filler) sitting next to me on the plane chatting like nobody's business, the girl on the hotel desk staring at me as i walked past, it took me a few days to figure out that it meant nothing, that's just what people do there, whereas in nyc everyone has learned not to do that, it's a come on, it's rude, keep your eyes to yourself. it felt like such a gentle place compared to the rough and tumble of here.

Did you feel a slight unaccustomed twinge of regret as you eliminated the target?

Leo

No Rich, this time he was only dropping off a folder of classified docs that couldn't be sent safely by electronic means, personal courier required.

IdleRich

IdleRich
NoNo Rich, this time he was only dropping of a folder classified docs that couldn't be sent safely by electronic means, personal courier required.
If the next virus appears first in the middle east we'll know why.