yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
i'm really curious what the long term side effects or consequences are of that surgery where people get a gigantic booty and extremely tiny waist. gotta be weird for your internal organs or bowels or something no?

luka

How we are tweaked and pinched and pulled and shaped by the responses we receive and by the responses we anticipate receiving. Locked into these teaching machines, something within us very, very alert to praise and scolding

eg You really get the sense of the 'culture' pulling people's bodies and faces into new shapes. Gym. High protein diet calorific surplus. Creatine.
fashion increasingly becoming as much about the body as about the clothes we wear

version

i'm really curious what the long term side effects or consequences are of that surgery where people get a gigantic booty and extremely tiny waist. gotta be weird for your internal organs or bowels or something no?

Kim K had a reduction a while back because it's gone out of fashion somewhat.

shakahislop

ive always assumed most people on dissensus have had this work done

shakahislop

How we are tweaked and pinched and pulled and shaped by the responses we receive and by the responses we anticipate receiving. Locked into these teaching machines, something within us very, very alert to praise and scolding
i think you wrote this somewhere before didn't you, its a good way to explain it. its one of the basics of human behaviour but hard for us to remember because we are locked into this individualist paradigm. hard for us to see.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Surgery (including other, less drastic, forms of modification, like tanning), along with obsessively working out, makes me think of people for whom, say, a stereo system or a car isn't merely a utile device, but is a hobby in its own right, an ongoing work-in-progress that's constantly being customized or upgraded or tweaked to squeeze out the optimum performance - except they're like that about their own body.

shakahislop

its one of the darker aspects of the world, the way that all the striving and exploitation, grifting, pain, lying and cheating and stealing, protecting, rent-seeking, getting home late from the office, emotional coldness, ruthelessness and so on and so forth, all those ways that people amass money by hook or by crook, all of that ends up allowing sons and daughters to worry about their faces, put add milimeter by millimeter to their biceps, freeze thier foreheads, expand their buttcheeks

version

All of the alleged victims are said to have been part of a society in which people willingly undergo extreme body modification... The practice is linked to a subculture where men become “nullos”, short for genital nullification, by having their penis and testicles removed.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Surgery (including other, less drastic, forms of modification, like tanning), along with obsessively working out, makes me think of people for whom, say, a stereo system or a car isn't merely a utile device, but is a hobby in its own right, an ongoing work-in-progress that's constantly being customized or upgraded or tweaked to squeeze out the optimum performance - except they're like that about their own body.

I wonder if there is a parallel, like some people spend all their time improving their modular synths or buying more hardware whatever and never actually make any music.

Or as Jerome K Jerome put it many years ago when talking about cycling "you can use your bike for 'overhauling' OR for cycling, you can be an overhauler OR a cyclist but you definitely can never be both" (paraphrasing from memory).

Plus ca change, plus c'est le meme chose

I wonder, do people who spend ages working away on their bodies miss out on life... or is that one of those facile analogies I attacked when it suited me in another thread?

dawnn

I have mixed feelings about cosmetic surgeries. Of course, they won't change someone's life. They won't solve personal problems or make you look like someone else. But it may give people greater self-confidence and add to their sense of well-being. I personally am really afraid of any kind of surgery, so I won't agree to do that. But I have a really big problem with my teeth and it even changed my jaw and appearance. So, I have to do some dental surgery. I found a good clinic here but still was hesitating and so afraid.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Or as Jerome K Jerome put it many years ago when talking about cycling "you can use your bike for 'overhauling' OR for cycling, you can be an overhauler OR a cyclist but you definitely can never be both" (paraphrasing from memory).

That reminds me, I really should read some more JKJ, or even just reread the ones I've read. Isn't he more widely read in Russia than over here, for some reason? I think you said he's even on the school curriculum.

jenks

thread death
I wonder if there is a parallel, like some people spend all their time improving their modular synths or buying more hardware whatever and never actually make any music.

Plus ca change, plus c'est le meme chose

I wonder, do people who spend ages working away on their bodies miss out on life... or is that one of those facile analogies I attacked when it suited me in another thread?
yep, there's a saying in cycling - you can either fix them or you can ride them (never trust a racer to mend your bike)

version

The proposed law builds on current French legislation that strictly regulates the advertising of products such as tobacco or alcohol. While the current law requires transparency in advertising, the new bill would require influencers to include a banner indicating that a post has been sponsored.

Influencers will also have to indicate whether filters have been used. An amendment, added in the Senate, also requires social media users to state whether a figure or face have been created with AI. Vojetta hopes these rules will prevent young people from “being dominated by unrealistic body representations.”