the white hip-hop canon

luka

there was a period where i was massively hungover every day and lying in bed watching killa kela interviews. the best ones were the scratch pervert ones. one of the best things ive ever seen.

luka

they're all from oxfordshire i think, or maybe it's more sussex acutally. cant remember now.

shakahislop

there was a period where i was massively hungover every day and lying in bed watching killa kela interviews. the best ones were the scratch pervert ones. one of the best things ive ever seen.
i think we might of talked about this before. the killa kella interviews with graffiti lads were a lockdown / 2020 staple for me.

shakahislop

what's so good about it. i mean the one with someone called tony is pretty good. why's it one of the best things you've seen.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
@shakahislop i think the killer kela thing is at leat related to this

Mike Skinner was trying to solve the same problems. how do you rap as a paste person? how do you anything as a paste person beyond being paste? you have a lot of the same elements in Skinner, video games, drugs, sitting in a shit flat getting stoned, nights out, the aftermath of nights out and the infrastructure of kebab shop, all night garage, night bus, mini cab.

futility, depression, foreboding, despair sometimes lifted by transcendent drug experiences which give you a greater horizon to fix your gaze upon, at least for a while.

but fundamentally, structurally, you are paste, bred as paste, completely expendable, destined to play roles any number of other people could fill just as well. no one will notice you while you are alive and no one will remember you once you're dead.

even if you get a partner, commit, you're even expendable to them. they'd be just as happy with any number of other people, happier in fact with most other people. you just happened to fill that vacancy. you'll do for now. what difference does it make?

qwerty south

no use for a witticism
He's a good interviewer as he knows many of the guests personally so they speak freely

shakahislop

He's a good interviewer as he knows many of the guests personally so they speak freely
yeah right. and he's got a nerdy enthusiastic thing going on. it also helps a lot that none of these people he interviews are exactly megastars. one of the main things that comes up again and again is how the interviewees think about and rationalise the things they were doing in their youth, and how that all looks to them when they're older.

its an example of what i think people on here have called disintermediation. you do get a pretty good idea of what eg the guys involved in metalheadz are like from an hour long chat. which is quite a different thing to only seeing people as a name or a distant guy on a stage, or little bits and pieces in interviews in magazines. there's a loss of mystique. but a consequence it gives you a much better idea of reality.

shakahislop

even moreso for the graffiti guys of course

these interviews i think are - maybe its an obvious point - like the raw data for those oral histories which are in vogue. and its a way better format because of that.

forclosure

@shakahislop i think the killer kela thing is at leat related to this

I was thinking about this and compare this to the guys who came up in road rap which interestingly I haven't seen any kind of nostalgic write how for that happen like what's happened with grime.

UKHH guys were still verbally following ideas and "traditions" told to them by ancient new York man as the proper way to respect the culture also as they were the first wave of that in some way that dourness which is out of vogue now was needed, something like I dunno O.C.'s times up looks horrifically dated now but if I could be a little sympathetic considering where rap went its not that they were wrong just the targets they went after were off base not only that but UKHH even by the 2000s was getting more and more divorced from the streets to where the only people really doing that are the kind of people you see in don't flop battles. The fact that they didn't want to cross over with guys from grime didn't help them either.

I'm no fan of Oceanwisdom but he's got 2 tracks with Carns Hill which would've been UNTHINKABLE back in the days of say Task Force but in all honesty it really should've