the white hip-hop canon

forclosure

Compare that to Road Rap where they don't have some of those same kind of bindings and while on the surface it looks like slot of them whethered the storm you look at how somebody like Timber just got out now and he's lucky cause there's a lot of them still locked up or dead.

The difference with them man is they were shotters first rappers second and shotters for the longest time didn't take rappers seriously similarly to how they don't take people who go uni seriously, in some ways the reason you see more of them now not just because of the internet but because they see it as a hard n fast way to get money n drip and then you'll see them posing at something like wireless with Lil Baby and Drake (all even now I think Drake's time in London instilled a really cynical impetus for why London man would want to get into rapping)

forclosure

They were still mainly East coast inspired but that's not to say there wasn't moments where the influence of southern rap was creeping in but their thinking on rap was more like Cam'ron or Jeezy "I'm only doing this cause I'm nice with it"

Speaking of which can any of you man think of a white road rapper? Cause apart from K Koke only one I can think of is Morrison who is terrible but i think because his family has old East end crime ties he gets a pass lol

luka

you could make a provcative argument to say uk music has got prgressively worse the less intergrated its become.

forclosure

The funny thing is all this anexity and venom over white rappers is really a recent thing whereas if you go back a few generations people will tell you all this anxiety over cultural appropriation and "if you're white don't be a rapper" wasn't a thing. All that mattered was that if white people respected the culture and knew their shit they would be accepted as any of the black and Latino people in rap

forclosure

you could make a provcative argument to say uk music has got prgressively worse the less intergrated its become.
That plus the deeper the influence of American music goes and more expansive

That's why it's funny to me a large issue Americans have with drill and rap from other countries is "why do you sound like us why aren't you trying to do your own thing"

forclosure

Not "bad" but blander @Corpsey was saying how the flash of American rap was appealing to him as a mediocre white Donny from the suburbs and now that's just everywhere the standard has been raised, they're all pretty much listening to the same guys from the states and back home. So it all meets a certain level of quality and the flash that was appealing is just a set of signifiers now (though you could safely say they always were)

I've seen a few US rappers rocking Stone Island jackets lol

forclosure

And this is something that people bring up with the younger generation of wannabe musicians who have their own communities on discord is that they build their own kind of identity in terms of rappers and people they deem important to them
Although I'd argue that's not new but in terms of there being people who'll say Sloan and Skiano matter to them as much as I dunno the promise ring lol

qwerty south

no use for a witticism
I was thinking about this and compare this to the guys who came up in road rap which interestingly I haven't seen any kind of nostalgic write how for that happen like what's happened with grime.

UKHH guys were still verbally following ideas and "traditions" told to them by ancient new York man as the proper way to respect the culture also as they were the first wave of that in some way that dourness which is out of vogue now was needed, something like I dunno O.C.'s times up looks horrifically dated now but if I could be a little sympathetic considering where rap went its not that they were wrong just the targets they went after were off base not only that but UKHH even by the 2000s was getting more and more divorced from the streets to where the only people really doing that are the kind of people you see in don't flop battles. The fact that they didn't want to cross over with guys from grime didn't help them either.

I'm no fan of Oceanwisdom but he's got 2 tracks with Carns Hill which would've been UNTHINKABLE back in the days of say Task Force but in all honesty it really should've
There was a strong fusion / progressive / experimental tradition too in UKHH e.g. Roots Manuva (who is arguably the most successful act from that era)

forclosure

There was a strong fusion / progressive / experimental tradition too in UKHH e.g. Roots Manuva (who is arguably the most successful act from that era)
True but his type at best would maybe get a mercury music prize nomination which let me remind everybody nobody gave a shit about until Dizzee won it or getting coverage in the "urban" section of the guardian aka some of the last people this side of rateyourmusic and Anthony Fantano who I would ever trust to recommend me good rap

qwerty south

no use for a witticism
True but his type at best would maybe get a mercury music prize nomination which let me remind everybody nobody gave a shit about until Dizzee won it or getting coverage in the "urban" section of the guardian aka some of the last people this side of rateyourmusic and Anthony Fantano who I would ever trust to recommend me good rap
He plays decent venues e.g. in 2017 on tour even in the provinces he was playing 1000 cap venues (O2 Academy Oxford) .

hXXps://www.seetickets.com/tour/roots-manuva

I think the illicit downloading culture has been big in hip hop so sales has not accurately measured cultural impact for the past 20 years or so (see the chapter on "Rabid Neurosis" in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_Music_Got_Free ).

wild greens

Streetz Selected was probably the last good UK DVD as well, closed a chapter in a way

Going for like £80 on ebay these days!

wild greens

Can't believe how little of this DVD is on youtube now. Used to have at least 15 minutes of it, all the south lads baiting themselves up really badly, the weird cherry gang freestyle

All gone

catalog

Something interesting about the jungle era is that while there were millions of white producers and you were always a bit surprised when you saw eg hype or nicky blackmarket playing out, there were never any white mcs, not to my knowledge anyway