Films you've seen recently and would recommend WITH reservations

Ian Scuffling

have u watched true detective s2? hes great in it. his character shares lots of wisdom
That's one I would recommend with reservations, but those reservations pretty much just boil down to pacing issues and the finale is on par with the best parts of s1 and successfully differentiates itself. The back half makes the mess of the first half (and most of Taylor Kitsch's character) worth it.

version

Walker (1987)

With reservations because the humour and how on the nose it is will rub a lot of people the wrong way, but recommended because it's bonkers, Ed Harris is great, the score's top and the whole thing's just an incredibly ballsy move on the part of everyone involved.

Luke might like it purely on the grounds of Craner likely hating it. Imagine Oliver Stone directing Blazing Saddles...

rubberdingyrapids

most of the new arthousey films ive seen have all been dissapointing on some level.

samsara - this made me decide slow cinema is just not something i care about anymore. some beautiful imagery, but amateur acting/scripting, somewhat dull/uninteresting anthro POV, and a two part structure that makes sense if you think about it outside of the film (in ref to the theme of reincarnation), but watching it was just a disjointed, and dissapointing experience.

the delinquents - starts off great, an off piste, playful, amusing bank robbery movie, with some nice existential stuff about work, but then loses it after the halfway mark (its three hours too), when it just gets really indulgent, and doesnt care about doing justice to any of what happened or was raised in the first half. should have been 2 hours max.

not sure i should stay a member of the ica any longer.

rubberdingyrapids

civil war is pretty cool. some good stuff in there. but its all a bit hazy. a film about war photographers but not that much depth on that. a film about a civil war but not much really on the politics. gets intense near the end, but up til then its a bit of a slow/intermittent burn with some truly weird music choices that i am assuming are meant to be irreverent but just come off tone deaf. alex garland can obviously direct, but not sure he can write, or think as well. a bit like a more conceptually ambitious edgar wright.

shakahislop

civil war is pretty cool. some good stuff in there. but its all a bit hazy. a film about war photographers but not that much depth on that. a film about a civil war but not much really on the politics. gets intense near the end, but up til then its a bit of a slow/intermittent burn with some truly weird music choices that i am assuming are meant to be irreverent but just come off tone deaf. alex garland can obviously direct, but not sure he can write, or think as well. a bit like a more conceptually ambitious edgar wright.
i wished it was a bit different, but i liked it all the same. the traumatized war photographer thing didn't go deep enough i thought. i want to see that done in a more nuanced way. it's not much more than a trope. a copy of the copy too far removed from the real thing. thought as well that they studiously avoided politics, which was good, but then clattered without even noticing into the usual contempt for poor and rural white people (the yokels doing the torturing, arguably the executioner man). it's a cool enough film though. just the premise itself meant i was always going to like it. can't go too far wrong with transposing a conflict onto a known territory i love that kind of thing

rubberdingyrapids

its basically like an indie war movie, but with a bigger budget, which means you get all the things you expect from an indie film with arty pretensions, ie lots of space, atmosphere, plotty but not necessarily pacey, leaves out lots of details, doesnt think it needs depth, just vibe, but doesnt fully succeed as a film on this kind of scale. im a bit tired of these big movies that dont try hard enough, or just dont DO enough. do more. its not cool really, its just irritating. and underdeveloped/written. i liked it though, regardless. its just not as good as it could have been. annhiliation was better actually.

shakahislop

saw dazed and confused yesterday. not something i could get much out of, a bit sickly, a bit too glamourised and sexy for my taste, i end up resenting what the director is doing to me with stuff like that. looked absolutely beautiful. was surprised to see how far back that american thing of dominance and humiliation went, i had thought that was something more recent but it's there throughout, a main theme.

0bleak

was surprised to see how far back that american thing of dominance and humiliation went, i had thought that was something more recent but it's there throughout, a main theme.

Initiations/rites of passage/ordeals exist in many socieities, cultures and institutions though.

as far as hazing:

and
"Hazing has been prevalent in the educational system for two thousand years, dating back to Plato's academy in 387 B.C. (Nuwer, 1999, p. 92). Hazing was marked as "practical jokes played by unruly young men that injured and hazed the citizens who got in the way" (Nuwer, 1999 p. 92). In the middle ages, hazing spread to the European universities which led to the birth of modern hazing (Parks, 2015, p. 7). Students would have to "submit to brutal hazing by older students just as they had to pay for university fees and to buy books" (Nuwer, 1999, p.94). These practices, or "fagging", were deemed as rituals and were accepted into the culture of higher education institutions. The purpose of these acts was to "teach newcomers precedence" but the young students willingly took the abuse to advance as a sociality scholar, often earning a title of master or doctor (Nuwer, 1999 p. 94-96). Two types of hazing became prevalent in the middle ages, which continue today, physical and psychological hazing. The custom of paddling prevailed as first year students were hit "with a book or frying pan", this "gratified alike the Why They Haze 5 bullying instinct, the social instinct, and the desire to find at one the excuse and the means for a carouse" (Nuwer, 1999, p. 95). Physiological tactics created an environment which humiliated the younger students, making them wear caps with yellow bills to differentiate the newcomers and using the wealthier student to buy expensive clothing and food for the hazers. These acts developed and evolved in Europe and continued in American higher education institutes such as Harvard. Joseph Webb, class of 1684, was the first Harvard student punished for hazing acts. He was expelled for hitting first-year students as well as "requiring them to perform acts of servitude" (Nuwer, 1999, p. 100). Two months later, he repented and was able to return to Harvard to graduate."