A catalog in america

catalog

ganja goo will get you. reember any. of the stoned thoughts?
I cannot revisit that place so soon, cos some of thd thoughts were quite dark, related to conversations had in Bmore related to redlining, disinvestment, food desertification.

• Wow
Reactions: sus

catalog

17 Yr old nephew has this poster in bedroom

tNPCqsn.jpeg

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Had a close shave yest. I had maybe 2 teaspoons of the ganja goo just before entering security, then went for a pint and realised halfway thru thst how fucked I was.

100 thoughts a second plus room swimming and struggling to Co ordinate my walking, talking etc.

Wandered around for ages and then found somewhere to sit. Rewalised I was also tired, hungry etc so the hallucinations for next hour were pretty strong. Kept thinking there was a group of people looking at me but they were mannequins etc.

Was genuinely thinking "ibve had a good trip til now and then I'm gonna get arrested".

But was OK. Flight was horrible, I slept some of it, thinking I kept accidentally falling asleep on neighbours shoulder.

I had a lot of stoned thoughts, was too scared to get my notebook out and write them.
You gigantic prat, what were you thinking?

Great anecdote though.

catalog

Went into downtown LA yesterday, to visit the public library where Bukowski found some solace and also discovered John Fante.

tm9Hr6G.jpeg

Really beautiful building, did a nice job of retaining some nice old features alongside functional design for the readers.

QGka2Lr.jpeg

Then went to a really nice book shop called the last bookstore. I picked up Daniel deronda by George Eliot for 3 dollars.

iqsHKox.jpeg

Lunch was at Grand Central market. They had tamales!

pUmEn2u.jpeg

From there onto Hollywood boulevard, which was closed off a bit cos they are getting ready for thd Oscars. They had the red carpet down and some plastic sheeting over the top.

AKR5Um0.jpeg

From there through Le Brea to Santa Monica pier. The highlight for me was the tunnel waffle and the Zoltar machine from "Big".

QVy7ToD.jpeg

And finally masala dosas and lamb biryani for dinner.

63q2kjg.jpeg

Exhausting day but I got a good sense of the city, including being stuck in traffic.

LA feels completely different to the east coast or England.

The only places I would compare it to are Mexico City, perhaps an Indian city like Bombay or Bangalore.

Roads as far as you can see, people everywhere, everything huge, flat housing, perceptible level of smog haze, planes flying by. Incredible stuff.

Leo

I never imagined I'd particularly like LA but went for the second time about 10 years ago and had a really enjoyable time. could be a "nice place to visit but wouldn't want to live there" situation, not sure. but it was a pleasant surprise.

catalog

looks surprisingly dreary. will you be going to a sports bar this evening?
Been raining most of the time I've been here. The Los angelinos get really worried about the rain, they don't drive and cancel all their plans. Like when it's what we fall mizzle in England.

Sadly did not manage to go to a single sports bar.

But inshallah ill be getting the beers in this eve in texas.

catalog

i was hoping for some snaps of "skid row" and an unscripted encounter with Daisy, the "healer", on Venice Beach

Interview with Daisy the Venice Healer
Was too scared to take my phone out 8n Hollywood. But there's some sights. Never made it to skid row. You spend a lot of time stuck in traffic.

catalog

I mean, it's just my perception based upon visiting 2 cities so far, but Baltimore is very much designed in the style of England.

The houses are pretty conventional and eg my cousins house has exactly the same layout as mine, albeit much bigger.

Whereas my impression of LA is that you have way more bungalows, flat roofing, this general "stucco" style.

And huge roads. To the extent they dominate everything.

The other thing that makes me think of mexico is that there are Spanish translations of a lot of signs eg this in the salvation army thrift store

pOFxByQ.jpeg

And alot of the waitresses/parking people are Spanish.

Also the Pacific ocean presence. I went to laguna beach yesterday and this feels nowt like the east coast (but I've only been to NYC and florida and both were years ago)

NjZHBql.jpg

luka

not heard any sports bar updates in a little while. i guess hes probably been executed in the electric chair.