A catalog in america

Leo

20% minimum for lunch or dinner at a restaurant. Used to be “double the tip” but that’s outdated.

catalog

Here are the tacit rules as I know them

Give $1 to your bartender per drink, whether the drink is $3 or $10. If it's a really expensive drink, like $10-20, or the service is exceptional, you can give $2.

Basically same with cafes. Get a coffee? Give a dollar. Whether the coffee is $3 or $6. With the digital payscreens these days they often have 15/18/20% options which makes things slightly trickier. If 15% is like... sixty cent tip? Give 20%.

Giving a coin-based tip is often seen as rude, especially if the tip is less than a dollar. It comes off as "take this dirty grubby pocket change off my hands." Also, because they can't tell how many coins you put in the jar, just whether you put coins or a bill, they'll automatically assume you're a cheapskate. Don't even think of putting bills and coins, because in the off-chance that they hear the coins clink but don't see the bill, they'll assume you gave a shitty tip.

If you get a full meal somewhere, cafe or restaurant or whatever, give 15%.

If you go to the barber, give about 10-20%. If I get a $15 hair cut I'll just give them $20 because that's such a good deal.

If you take a shuttle or car and someone helps you with your bag, give them $1-5 depending how helpful they were.

Everything else you don't tip. You don't tip grocery baggers in the States, although you do in Mexico. You don't tip cashiers at non-food/beverage establishments under almost any circumstance. Is this fair? No. Does it make any sense? No. But that's how it is.

You're also not allowed to complain about tipping culture, or even to say things like "wow maybe if we paid these people a fair wage then we wouldn't need to make every pleasant social interaction a financial exchange." Or even to say things like "isn't it weird that if you work a minimum wage job at a gas station, you don't get any tips, but if you pour coffee for somebody you automatically deserve one?" Don't say any of that. Just shut up and get your wallet out.
I feel like this should be on a card in the little pouch on the plane over, next to the emergency instructions and sick bag

IdleRich

IdleRich
That's really funny you tried to tip a cashier at a museum gift shop. That'sr eally really funny lol
You laugh now but soon enough you'll be telling us "we have always tipped museum cashiers" and wanging on about how they are exploited by evil gallery owners, telling us if we give em less than 25% not to be surprised if every time we wanna see the blockbuster painting it gets removed for cleaning - and we'll deserve it too.

IdleRich

IdleRich
If you get a full meal somewhere, cafe or restaurant or whatever, give 15%.

If you go to the barber, give about 10-20%. If I get a $15 hair cut I'll just give them $20 because that's such a good deal.

If you take a shuttle or car and someone helps you with your bag, give them $1-5 depending how helpful they were.

Everything else you don't tip.
What about taxis and people delivering you food? There was that article everywhere last year about some guy delivering food and the customer filled the tip amount was too low so he refused to deliver her dinner...

Actual sort of sensible question, how is tipping dealt with by economists etc? I'm thinking like in some countries they have a group of everyday items and they measure the inflation of that basket, but if there were intems on the list that mandate a tip, would that tip be included in the calculation? Or just in general, if they said tfe average price of a beer in NY is, I dunno, $8 is that the price with or without the tip? Cos I go somewhere I wanna know the pay - what use is it to know or how correct is it to say beers are 8 dollars on average if you can never ever get them at that price?

IdleRich

IdleRich
It is a good point though, whenever I go to Russia I always find it weird that people aren't allowed to have arguments, it takes me a while to adjust and sometimes I accidentally start one but noone joins in, very odd thing. Everyone is just tense, fucking tense all the fucking time cos they have so many arguments they wanna have but they just can't .

IdleRich

IdleRich
And in sort of in-between places like, I dunno, France which are freeet than Russia but obviously not as free as US and you have a number of arguments permitted but it's so complicated matching up with others who are gonna be allowed to have the same level of arguments, and what if that happens but you don't disagree with them?

luka

imagine getting $1 for every drink you serve? youd be minted except american only drink 2 drinks on a night out

william_kent

imagine getting $1 for every drink you serve? youd be minted except american only drink 2 drinks on a night out

my brother, who is a "fucking liar" by the way, once told me a story about how he was in Miami and got challenged to a drinking contest by some Hells Angels and after four pints they were wetting themselves on the floor but he was stone sober because American beer is so piss weak

shakahislop

I was talking to a girl tonight (in a sports bar no less, you would be proud, a two tier room, the staff were harried and dressed as referees, screens everywhere with people shouting, miami dolphins against someone at basketball, weaving in and out of people to get anywhere, looking for channels through the crowd, bright lights, dudes with muscles everywhere, fries and sliders), and she told me she used to make $300 a night in tips as a waitress in a family-run restaurant in rural Massachusetts

shakahislop

What about taxis and people delivering you food? There was that article everywhere last year about some guy delivering food and the customer filled the tip amount was too low so he refused to deliver her dinner...
People delivering food are definitely people to tip for me, for practicality and also for the sake of justice. I still find all that so bleak, it's the closest thing in the west to servants, these dudes banging about in the cold on these rickety workhorse ebike, the tech preventing any sense of a relationship, faceless and anonymous, all this food going to fancy buildings full of people paying 5k a month and getting food bought to them five times a week, the food getting dropped off to the doormen in the lobby.

For taxis the tech has changed tipping from what I can tell, it's unavoidable in the yellow cabs, but the apps are made to let you get away without doing it, coz you're already out of there and in the street before it's time to pay, the interaction is over, the app designs away the shame of not doing it