thirdform

pass the sick bucket
zorro on doughnuts lol. neal kulkarni has never written a line that funny in his life and never will.

Kulkarni is a British-Asian. you lot can have him. You will never have me though. God's country? god's greatest rectal Hemorrhoid more like!

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
My grandad is/was a big fiscal Republican type, he's an interesting case. Filing bankruptcy/government bailout was against his political/ethical beliefs, so he never did it—could've saved his house, saved millions. Plenty of his friends/peers in the industry did it. Instead he tried to keep the business afloat with personal savings, ended up wiping out everything. That, at least, is the story my (quite socially & economically progressive) mother tells, emphasizing grandad's integrity of belief over their deep political differences. (Which can be quite nasty—they went through periods of not talking during the Trump presidency). Whether, and how true that story is, I'm not sure

only Americans and Brits have this particularly moral conservatism. In Turkey or Italy, any conservative will attempt to milk the state dry.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
We already have you! You're a national treasure, like Joanna Lumley and Mary Berry.

sort out your two nazi kids lukey and corpsey before you declare me national anything.

honestly going to start up a movement to highlight the depraved iniquity of paleman British fathers.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I think its the opposite, respectively
Ronaldo is clearly rigor, that's not in question, so, if we are gonna insist on a simple model in which each is one guy and only one it has to be

R = Rigor so M = Vigor

In reality we'd want Ronaldo to be an extraordinary measure of rigorous vigour and vigorous rigor while Messi excels in some magical other that lies orthogonal to the other two qualities... wait, what are we talking about?

sus

only Americans and Brits have this particularly moral conservatism. In Turkey or Italy, any conservative will attempt to milk the state dry.
The core question is: Do you prefer zealots or hypocrites?

I think this question defines a lot of different cultures' implicit policies around dissimulation, lip service, etc

sus

He's living inside a gated golf community now guarded by gunmen that keep the poor away
Actually he had to sell that house and move again to yet another state with even lower property values/taxes

But yes he's doing OK, aside from living in debilitating chronic pain 3,000 miles away from his family/kids, and working way past normal retirement age. He isn't homeless or starving

IdleRich

IdleRich
Isn't Ronaldo super technically drilled and Messi has this intuitive sprezzaturra or nah. I don't watch soccer
Broadly yeah I'd say so. Probably it's closer to the truth to say they were both magically and intuitively gifted to begin with, albeit Messi more so, and while Ron decided to augment his ability with extraordinary physical discipline Messi appeared to, at least relatively, simply allow his talent to breathe.

Hard to imagine now but when Ronaldo started at United he was often described as a show-pony with incredible skill but whose skinny frame meant that he was both literally and metaphorically ultimately lightweight.

• Wow
Reactions: sus

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
The core question is: Do you prefer zealots or hypocrites?

I think this question defines a lot of different cultures' implicit policies around dissimulation, lip service, etc

everyone is a hypocrite to some degree or another. even the zealot, though often their hypocrisy comes out after they've passed away or absconded from a certain environment.

sus

I am not upset that someone tagged this "grandpa's a cuck" but I do think "cuck" isn't the right word for it. it's almost the opposite pathology, which involves not living up to the responsibilities of power, and caring too much about his dignity

sus

everyone is a hypocrite to some degree or another. even the zealot, though often their hypocrisy comes out after they've passed away or absconded from a certain environment.
that's a vapid non-response; everyone is everything to one degree or another,;we all understand that these things are spectrums and also that the difference in where you fall on the spectrum matters. now answer the question

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Broadly yeah I'd say so. Probably it's closer to the truth to say they were both magically and intuitively gifted to begin with, albeit Messi more so, and while Ron decided to augment his ability with extraordinary physical discipline Messi appeared to, at least relatively, simply allow his talent to breathe.

Hard to imagine now but when Ronaldo started at United he was often described as a show-pony with incredible skill but whose skinny frame meant that he was both literally and metaphorically ultimately lightweight.

Ronaldo is not a hugely technical player. He's very fast but he needs to be the main man in a team. For me Bergkamp is the apex of technicality. Granted I have my own biases.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
that's a vapid non-response; everyone is everything to one degree or another,;we all understand that these things are spectrums and also that the difference in where you fall on the spectrum matters. now answer the question

I don't prefer anything. I am not trying to be the american version of Katherine Birbalsingh.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
which is precisely what I'm trying to say. American conservatives are basic social liberals in the middle east. Who gives a flying fucking dogs runny shit if your average town planner is a zealot or hypocrite? If they're going to be an idiot they will be an idiot.

sus

Ronaldo is clearly rigor, that's not in question, so, if we are gonna insist on a simple model in which each is one guy and only one it has to be

R = Rigor so M = Vigor

In reality we'd want Ronaldo to be an extraordinary measure of rigorous vigour and vigorous rigor while Messi excels in some magical other that lies orthogonal to the other two qualities... wait, what are we talking about?
I think magical is exactly how to think about vigor

It has to to with the ability to harness inarticulable forces. To get energy and power from places that aren't mapped. To use feel and "vibe" over programmatic logic or law. Vigor is spirit, rigor is letter. Vigor is religion (in its true, non-cargoculted, pre-institutional form) and rigor science. Rigor is about drilling and vigor is about passion.

sus

which is precisely what I'm trying to say. American conservatives are basic social liberals in the middle east. Who gives a flying fucking dogs runny shit if your average town planner is a zealot or hypocrite? If they're going to be an idiot they will be an idiot.
You are being purposefully obtuse. It's not about intelligence nor is it about town planning. It's about belief. Do you want your to citizens, bureaucrats, and leaders to be naive true believers or scammy cynics?