My triumphant return to reading

linebaugh

Im currently in the midst of a return to the written word. Im 60 pages into wyndham lewis's Apes of God which is enough to declare this real. I think its been a year and a half or so. What have I missed?

catalog

I'm struggling a bit with reading myself, took crime and punishment to America expecting to finish it bug I'm barely halfway through. It's good though, loads of bits to discuss.

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
Reread In Parenthesis recently and even though it’s by no means new, it is a unique fall into WWI’s monstrous barbarism. Might (might) be the most creative text there’s been at fully gripping your understanding of borderline psychosis of death at scale, trauma, humour, colloquial records but more than any other work, a smattering of characters whose fates will still haunt you long after you finish

Benny Bunter

Reread In Parenthesis recently and even though it’s by no means new, it is a unique fall into WWI’s monstrous barbarism. Might (might) be the most creative text there’s been at fully gripping your understanding of borderline psychosis of death at scale, trauma, humour, colloquial records but more than any other work, a smattering of characters whose fates will still haunt you long after you finish
Thanks for the reminder (again) that I need to read this, just ordered a copy.

Have you read Anathemata too? That's supposed to be his masterpiece isn't it?

luka

his style is really good when he wants it to be. theres nothing else like it in terms of laundered and talced masculiline prose

linebaugh

its very dense prose. not sure Id call it 'masculine.' Its very visually oriented, much mind payed to the posture and micro gestures of all the characters but manages not to come of litigious. I wouldn't necessarily call it obtuse either but he's intensely dedicated to not saying anything straight. a character cant be referred to as the same thing twice, no simple verbs allowed ever.