My triumphant return to reading

linebaugh

I like the attitude of many of the characters. Beaming smiles, cheery dispositions - 'This guys a MORON. thats great!'

luka

if wydham lewis was buying meat hed be well precise about the cut and know weirdly too much about butchering

• Love
Reactions: sus

woops

is not like other people
I've got an edition of apes of god from 1932 fortunately no one has laundered it or put talcum powder on it

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
1200px-Reading%2C_Berkshire_montage.jpg

Make sure to visit all of these

luka

i might retire from the whaling ship soon. i dont know if i can be fucked with it any more.

Benny Bunter

Reread In Parenthesis recently and even though it’s by no means new, it is a unique fall into WWI’s monstrous barbarism. Might (might) be the most creative text there’s been at fully gripping your understanding of borderline psychosis of death at scale, trauma, humour, colloquial records but more than any other work, a smattering of characters whose fates will still haunt you long after you finish
2 chapters in, this is great, like a mixture of Ezra Pound and Hemingway but without the latter's occasionally cheesy dialogue.

Benny Bunter

And macho posing. I read a farewell to arms fairly recently and enjoyed it but the dialogue between him and his girlfriend was really corny a lot of the time.

Benny Bunter

It's as if Pound was 20 years younger, British and actually went to war. Should be as well known as Wilfred Owen.

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
2 chapters in, this is great, like a mixture of Ezra Pound and Hemingway but without the latter's occasionally cheesy dialogue.

cushy stage, billets still fresh, navigating new trench systems with their personal touches - leaving firewood for replacements, minutiae of detail - and maybe an evening at a local bar if lucky

footnote gleaming aside it’s a tough read, not many texts have wiped me out as fully emotionally, the Gododdin references are even more poignant if you translate Catraeth as “war fence” (rather than Catterick) but a theme of the ruin of Britain is always within reach of Jones’s roaming, hyper-vigilant senses

Benny Bunter

Yeah I'm bracing myself for the full horrors to come, only 2 chapters in.
Jones is clearly an undersung genius though that much is clear.

I like the underlying Welsh epic stuff and all the other literary allusions, not that I can really understand all that stuff yet, but it gives it even more weight and depth. But that's not even necessary to appreciate it on first read, it's actually very accessible for a modernist text, much more than the waste land or the cantos (definitely reminds me of the pisan cantos a fair bit in style) for example - I guess cos it has more of a narrative and unified theme, but not just that, he's got his own thing going on too that's very immediate, not avant garde for its own sake but to serve a purpose.

Benny Bunter

I wonder if Pound was aware of him? The pisan cantos obviously came out after the second world war, so maybe the influence was mutual. That's just me assuming Jones was directly influenced by Pound though, maybe he wasn't and it was just something in the air at the time, but the similarities in style are quite striking to me

Benny Bunter

Brilliant how he gets across the alienating strangeness of the new technology these poor kids had to get to grips with, something that marked out the first world war from other wars before it, "the complex paraphernalia of their trade"

DannyL

Wild Horses
Im currently in the midst of a return to the written word. Im 60 pages into wyndham lewis's Apes of God which is enough to declare this real. I think its been a year and a half or so. What have I missed?
What have you been doing instead? I struggle with getting my reading back up to speed but have been managing the last few weeks. Reading a psychotherapy book by Nancy McWilliams which I was first intimidated by but right now can't put down.