Benny Bunter

Near the end of chapter 5 now, still really good but not as good as the previous 4 parts cos they're behind the lines away from the front and the writing is a lot more prosey. Sounds bad, but I'm eager for them to get to the Somme now, the anticipation's getting too much.

Benny Bunter

I think it really takes off in the sections when it abstracts out and goes more poetic, not that the prose sections and the dialogue aren't great as well.

Still loads of good bits like this in chapter 5:

Would you be-bloody-lieve it, chastised wiv effin scorpiongs - o my
I want-er go home
I want to go over the foam

I want the Big Ship.
I want Big Willie's luv-ly daughter.
We all want the Man Hanged.

Benny Bunter

This bit about the machine guns when Ball gets wounded 😮

"Where his fiery sickle garners you:
fanged-flash and darkt-fire thrring and thrring athwart thdrill a Wimshurst pandemonium drill with dynamo druv staccato bark at you like Berthe Krupp's terrier bitch and rattlesnakes for bare legs; sweat you on the sudden like masher Bimp's backfiring No.3 model for Granny Bodger at 1.30 a.m. rrattle a chatter you like a Vitus neurotic, harrow your vertebrae, bore your brain-pan before you can say Fanny - and comfortably over open sights:
the gentlemen must be mowed."

Benny Bunter

Tentatively started on the preface and the first few pages of Anathemata today. Looks like I'll have to go really slowly and brush up on my knowledge of Catholicism to get anything out of it but it looks really good so far.

Been reading a load of Lorca recently too and it's providing an interesting contrast. Jones' Catholicism seems much more based in the scriptures (on first impressions) , whereas Lorca focusses on the more pagan roots of the Catholic rituals as practiced by the Gitanos/Gypsies in Andalucía, and he sexualises the saints in quite scandalous, borderline blasphemous ways.