luka

they love this now dont they eg

make economy class on planes as bad as possible so you want to fly in the nice bit

start out with an nice free thing online then gradually destroy it with ads etc spotify etc

make a computer game very annoying and tell players they can stop it being annoying if they pay a fee

luka

particular type of persuasion engineering very popular in contemporary capitalism

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Now TV, which I'm watching Succession on, has started to put adverts in the shows. Even though it's a service we already pay for. You can get an advert-free version, which of course costs more. Cunts.

luka

partly going, how do we get people to pay for a free service
partly prompted by the switch from owner to renter relationship
partly just vicious cuntishness

Leo

They'll say "you get what you pay for", "no such thing as a free lunch", etc.

shakahislop

partly going, how do we get people to pay for a free service
partly prompted by the switch from owner to renter relationship
partly just vicious cuntishness
plus the need for a return, now that central bank interest rates are 5%. The macro level financial environment has changed a lot.

shakahislop

they love this now dont they eg

make economy class on planes as bad as possible so you want to fly in the nice bit
The shittness of economy plane seats is a different story I think. They're getting worse because people want the flight to be as cheap as possible, especially for short flights. Even airlines that were a bit resistant to all that, like BA, had to give in to that in the end.

shakahislop

I'll add dating apps to your list of things they deliberately make shit unless you pay for them. According to the internet anyway

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I'll add dating apps to your list of things they deliberately make shit unless you pay for them. According to the internet anyway
I'm imagining the people who run the dating apps deliberately packing them with ugly weirdos, and then there's this higher tier of attractive and relatively normal people that you can access if you pay a premium.

shakahislop

I'm imagining the people who run the dating apps deliberately packing them with ugly weirdos, and then there's this higher tier of attractive and relatively normal people that you can access if you pay a premium.
that's not too far off to be honest.

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
They love a shit bit of double-sided boarding on a stand advertising mortgages which may not exist the following day

Not sold on pea-protein burgers either

sufi

lala
and deals that aren't really deals, they just put a discount label on the standard kit cos everyone like to feel like they're getting a deal

dematerialisation of value innnit

Leo

or maintaining the retail price but shrinking the size, formerly 32 oz bottle now 27 oz.

Leo

DThCQQLX4AAlLjL.jpg