Positive discrimination/affirmative action etc in music

version

it's weird that boiler room became such a big deal, i've never got it, its an awkward watch.

There wasn't much like it at the time and it felt quite fresh and exciting. They were also positioned pretty well what with being in London and having all those acts to pick from.

shakahislop

I guess this is directed at me so I'm obliged to respond, much as I couldn't really give a shit anymore, but I wasn't saying this. My overarching point was more that clubbing just isn't where it is at the moment. I don't expect a experimental techno crowd to be very mixed by default, and as you say artificially engineering the crowds will never work. But the fact that clubbing is passe, the fact that it lacks a magnetic pull these days, is worth thinking about. I mean dance music will basically be classic rock in the next 10 years tops.
the (us) underground looks alive and well to me. funny that you say that about classic rock.

there's an outdoor venue here that i've never been to which is nestled among all the cool clubs in warehouse-brooklyn that costs about $100 to get in face value, i'm not exaggerating, that's the price of the tickets most of the time. apparently they have a massive wraparound screen. i've been the smaller indoor room they have in the same venue and it's like pseudo-airline style security to get in, and the whole place feels like they are maximising profit extraction from you at every opportunity. people go to see specific acts rather than for the general vibe etc. as i said i've never been but there's a lot about that which is totally reminiscent of classic rock. the edm culture combining with the rock commercial know-how.

shakahislop

There wasn't much like it at the time and it felt quite fresh and exciting. They were also positioned pretty well what with being in London and having all those acts to pick from.
yeah i thought it might be that, just that they were the first people to do the idea

maxi

I guess this is directed at me so I'm obliged to respond, much as I couldn't really give a shit anymore, but I wasn't saying this.
no no that wasn't directed at you at all. was responding to the ideas I've seen out there for ages about this kind of thing. I don't disagree with a lot of what you said. admittedly that's because I don't understand all of it but still ;)

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
no no that wasn't directed at you at all. was responding to the ideas I've seen out there for ages about this kind of thing. I don't disagree with a lot of what you said. admittedly that's because I don't understand all of it but still ;)
One of thirdform's ancestors was placed under a very specific curse by a djin with the result that if third ever writes a post that someone fully understands, he will be instantly consumed in a burst of flames and then spend eternity in hell as Shaitain's personal bum-boy, and not even in a fun way.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
the (us) underground looks alive and well to me. funny that you say that about classic rock.

Maybe but even that sort of thing is on life support. Apropos of nothing ive started converting all my .wav electronic mixtapes to vbr opus 256/320 as it encodes better than mp3, need to save disc space for high rez jazz albums and the like.

shakahislop

Maybe but even that sort of thing is on life support.
it's really hard for me to know anything outside of my own experience, so maybe all this stuff used to be better in the past, I don't know, but at least here it all seems to be flourishing. on the beats side of things there's more stuff to go to than I could ever possibly attend. same with experimental stuff, it feels like it's thriving, there's absolutely loads of it.

qwerty south

no use for a witticism
I'm sure that the fact that the females etc in question are most likely more photogenic / visually interesting which may be a small factor too in this Instagram world.