Grime doc on BBC

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Really resonated with me when someone (Wretch 32?) said that music in the 90s was a lot more fun. Like for example think how not fun dancehall is nowadays (not saying it's not GOOD). OTOH a simplification ofc cos there was plenty of dark music out there. Perhaps the difference now is that the party music is darker too?

I love the sections about jungle and garage in this doc, I wish someone would make a similar doc just focusing on hardcore/jungle. (They probably have.)

And then it gets to grime and it sounds like the maddest most intense raw music ever

craner

Beast of Burden
Really resonated with me when someone (Wretch 32?) said that music in the 90s was a lot more fun. Like for example think how not fun dancehall is nowadays (not saying it's not GOOD). OTOH a simplification ofc cos there was plenty of dark music out there. Perhaps the difference now is that the party music is darker too?

I love the sections about jungle and garage in this doc, I wish someone would make a similar doc just focusing on hardcore/jungle. (They probably have.)

And then it gets to grime and it sounds like the maddest most intense raw music ever

The caesura between the downfall of So Solid Crew and the incubation of grime was a rupture/retrenchment that looks clearer in retrospect. Time does its own editing.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
Gryff Rhys Jones claims to have "moshed" to it at an Abersoch in Gwynedd dinner party that became a little festive after the 2nd bottle of Beaujolais arose from the cellar

luka

remarkably amateurish, particularly in the editing. cobbled together in a rush and on the cheap.

luka

and always very disappointing when people are only saying the things they know they are supposed to say
"yes we was the voice of the streets yes we were telling it like it is" makes for a very sanitised and dreary watch. would of been better to hear about tempa t bottling griminal for example.

luka

i get that the bbc wouldnt let them have wiley on it, thats unavoidable but it does leave a big hole.
the bits stressing how the police went to war with them were worth while tbf. but basically rubbish overall imo

luka

weird little fuck ups like a tiny clip of novellist talking about getting stabbed in new cross without any context. and there was a clip of i think maybe general lok from total package, again really brief and out of context and not even saying who he is. really shoddy.

luka

then it goes london, 1990, and they start playing skylarking by horace andy. why? ridiculous. then footage of the 70s too. really confused about london geography and basic temporality.

The mythology has been distilled hasnt it. No news here and I suppose you’re slightly resentful that you’ve yet again been written out of history

luka

yeah the narrative gets distilled and obscures the truth but if you make documentaries you shouldnt be content with that you should have an actual brain and a sense of curiosity.